Where are all the ps2's

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Curtis Lotter, Dec 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Curtis Lotter

Curtis Lotter Stunt Coordinator

I was set on buying a ps2 this weekend but can't find one in stock ANYWHERE! Not even at the usual internet sites.

I know it's only 3 weeks till Christmas, but it's hard to believe there aren't any in stock to buy.

Anybody know what's up?

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Its the redesigned system. Sony cant produce enough(or isnt to drive demand) and everyone is snatching them up because of the new snazzy look of them. These things are tough to find unless you are there when they first arrive in stores.

3. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I'm having a deja-vu moment to when the PS2 first came out. Some sellers were selling them for hundreds of dollars above the retail price and some people were all too eager to buy them just to be the first to have one.

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's crazy the way these things are selling. This past Tuesday, all the GameStops in my area (4) got 12-24 units in stock, and all were gone by the close of business. People are going nuts over it's new design.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    if i didnt already have one, i think i would prefer it, the new design is nice.

CJ

6. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

7. Curtis Lotter

Curtis Lotter Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replies. And to think just a couple weeks ago, Best Buy had stacks of them in their center display. I'm glad I'm not the person responsible at Sony for this snafu :b

8. Sean Moon

i traded in my old system today. It was a launch day system but was still running strong. But I was beginning to get paranoid since EVERYONE I know with a launch system has had theirs quit either in the last year or last month, so I decide better get while the getting is good.

The new system is TINY! Really damn tiny, but I like that. My only real beef with it is that it gets really really hot over a period of time.

Now with the smaller form factor, I might be inclined to finally put a ps2 vertical now. Sit it on the same shelf as my xbox. Eh, who knows.

9. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

Pre-ordered and traded in my "old" PS2 at EBGames on launch day. It was a riot in the store, glad I pre-ordered it. I like the PSX style lid versus the slide out trade. The new one's also silent compare to the old PS2. Looks way better too. Although I have to elevate the new one for the Logitech Cordless Action's receiver.

10. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I didn't realize there would be a shortage either. I went in the first couple days of release, trading in my old PS2 + 5 PS2 games for a free one at EBgames. Unfortunately, my wireless Predator controller does not fit in the plug at all. I need to look at it again to see if I can modify it.

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I did the trade-in deal that EB was running a while ago. $100 for old PS2, $10 per game credit up to 5 games, bam! New mini PS2.

Mine was a launch PS2 and it was a bit flaky (It stopped playing PS1 games a lot of the time, and Tekken Tag Tournement wouldn't work ever)

When I saw last, Target, BB, etc have stacks of them. But online they are rare. Must be a shortage in some urban areas or something.

12. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

So there's no fan whatsoever in the new version? I would have that they might include a laptop or notebook-type fan that is horizontally situated as opposed to the vertically configued style of the original PS2.

13. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

There is a fan. It's just real quiet!

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

is it strictly an aesthetic thing or is there any improvement in terms of performance, hardware, etc?

15. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

No real changes other than cosmetic ones. Sure, the DVD drive etc will be different and there's the integrated nerwork port, but otherwise it's the same Ps2 guts.

My first thought on seing one though was whether it'd be too light to avoid getting damaged though. For example, if you happen to catch a controller wire on something (walking in front of the TV etc), the small ps2 will probably get pulled off a shelf really really easily. Hopefully in the next generation, everyone follows Microsoft's lead and implements the breakaway controller cords (which is really one of the best console design ideas ever).

16. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

The newer PS2 does not support the hard drive that comes with Final Fantasy XI, but then again, very few games support the HD.

17. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

Only 1 game, at least on state side, support HD, FF XI.

BTW, for those who think the new PS2 weights like feather (big disappointment from the Xbox lover), it's not. It's compact yet solid. Using the provided cables, it sits securely on my A/V rack. So unless you have a cable mess and jerk real hard in the mess, or like to kick or throw your console around 'cause it doesn't have any games on it asides from an over hyped FPS, the new PS2 will stay put. BTW #2, I use Logitech's Cordless Action for my PS2.

18. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah I know a few weeks ago I was going to buy one with Ace Combat 5. None to be found so I spent the money on Halo2 and Ghost Recon 2.

19. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

By CDN BestBuy has literally hundreds of them lining counters, under counters, on shelves. Seriously, I think they must have bought about half of the North American allotment.

Martin.

20. Sean Moon

how well does the logitech cordless work with the new model.....the receiver looks too big for it.