What's new

where are all the AV12 or AV15 threads? (1 Viewer)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
I am planning on building my own sub, a 24" cubic enclosure with an AV15 and two 18" PR's is what i am after. Is there a better solution for the price? A 2ft box is as big as i would like to go.

Right now i have an SVS 20-39 with Samson S-700 amplifier. I think 700 watts will suffice for the new sub. What improvements can i expect over the SVS in my 12x18.5x8 room?

Construction details please?

Hi Serge, ambitious project. I built 2 using 12" lambda and 15" PRs, and love them. I used 3/4" baltic birch laminated with 3/4" MDF for sides, top and back. I inserted 3/4" redwood strips in all the corners; they look sharp. No rattles; I had to put some rubber feet on as they will walk around the wood floor. Your design will have nearly flat output into the teens and should let the neighbors know you're around!!! Good luck.
Mike

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
Just don't play U571 DTS with that thing. Or, you will be depth charged for real.:D By that i mean air in the room will pressurize, floor will rattle and move, couch will sway left to right to left and You WILL want to reach for something to grab & hold on to.

Not bad for $10 bargain bin DVD @ local DVD store. WHEEEEE:D

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i'm not sure about svs cause i've never heard one, but from what i've heard, your planned sub should crush your current sub. i've currently got a dual AV15 sub that is flat to under 10Hz. i love it.

eric

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
thanks guys,

so what would be an approximate total for this project?

should i go with the AV-15 alone or with the passive radiators? Everyone's help is appreciated.

Well, you could build the same size box with 2-4" vents, about 18" long and obtain nearly the same response. One PR wouldn't work well, so it should either be 2 PRs, or vents. As for closed, well in 100L box, which is noticeably smaller, you would get 3dB less output at 40, 5dB less at 30Hz, and 8dB less output at 20Hz. So for HT use vented/PR is the better way to go. You could of course equalize the closed box response to get any response you wanted. I am very happy with mine for HT, and music as well, although it took some placement experiments to get it right.
Mike

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
guys,

i need all the suggestions you can muster....i just sold my SVS

question is tumult or AV15, PR, sealed or vented and what is the smallest size where i can get tonnes of bass output while keeping the sub as musical as possible.

Thanks in advance, you DIY sub guys know who you are:) I emailed Stryke with no response as of yet. Time to get organised in a hurry before i go subless!

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
John (Stryke/Acoustic Elegance proprietor) is vey busy, and I think you'll have a better chance of reaching Kyle at Acoustic Visions (www.acoustic-visions.com) for your order. Kyle sells Stryke/AE Speakers components. A sealed AV15 with lots of power (700w pro sound amp) will probably work well for you. Also, the Passive Radiator design would work well. The sealed AV15 (in 4-5 cu. ft, with a resultant Qtc of 0.6) might be the most musical but you may need two of them to get all the output you could want. What you can do is get a pro amp that has 700 watts per channel and use each side to drive one of the AV15's in the sealed boxes. If you do passive radiators, you will loose a very small amount of tightness but get a lot more output from a single enclosure. Definitely more than your SVS. The passive radiators function like bass ports and so you have something that sounds like a bass reflex box when you use PR's, as they are called.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Rory,

thanks for the reply. I will contact Kyle for advice. Ultimately, a 19-20 inch footprint is what i am after then i am flexible on the height. A 24" cube is a bit large for the front om my theater.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
You want the Stryke/Acoustic Elegance Thunder 12.3 cabinet. It is a 3-cubic-foot cabinet that has the woofer on the front and passive radiators on the sides. I'm sure Kyle can give you the details. I have one of these cabinets in progress but I've kind of gone crazy with how I'm dong it because by the time I arrived at the design I wanted I had 3 layers of MDF on the top and 4 layers of MDF on the bottom. That's the great thing about the Thunder design: It's very customizable. My design will have cloth grilles on the three sides covering the woofer and the passive radiators. There will be some solid oak trim and an oak veneered top. It seems big when you build it but when you consider what is inside it's very compact.

Sebastian

Second Unit
Rory,

I think he has the AV-15 not the AV-12 which the thunder 12.3 is designed for.
Here are a couple of the av-15 alignments

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks