What's new

When you were young, which films did your whole school or class went to see? (1 Viewer)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I only remember one school trip to see a movie. It was 1776, but it was much later than it's '72 release. Probably a special run of the film around 1976 as it certainly wasn't during it's original run.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Okay, trips where we all went as a class to see a movie in a real theater:

HOW THE WEST WAS WON (spring 1963/in Cinerama at the Cinerama, formerly the Capitol Theater, not to be confused with the Warner Cinerama which was the new name given a couple of years later for the Warner down the block on B'way and 47th St.)

MARY POPPINS (early 1965 at the Valentine in the Bronx)

LORD JIM (spring 1965 at the old Loew's State on B'way before it was twinned)

THE ODD COUPLE (spring 1968 at Radio City Music Hall)

YOURS, MINE AND OURS (spring 1968 at the Globe) - This one was not intended as a class trip, but we got back early from a trip to the Museum of Natural History so our teacher took us to the movies at the theater that was nearest to the school. Coincidentally, I live across the street from this theater today and it's where I saw my first Bollywood movie in 2000, but it closed not long after that and became a furniture store, which has since closed and is now being renovated for something else.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
FoxyMulder said:
I'm confused, that link goes to some other films, also IMDB says Capra never made a film called that.
You'd probably remember them as "the Bell Lab Science Films", or, if they're from your past, as "Hemo the Magnificent".
Which Capra did write, produce and direct for TV/16mm (at least the first four, including "Our Mr. Sun", "Unchained Goddess" and "Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays"), and which every fan DID recognize Joe Dante's labor-of-love quoting in Gremlins instantly. :D

Unfortunately, the Image DVD's seem to be near out of print, they never got around to doing the non-Capra's like "The Alphabet Conspiracy" or "It's About Time", and Warner only did a questionable Archive-style DVD of "Gateway to the Mind".

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
A couple of others...a young social sciences teacher took up a collection and rented a 16mm TV print of Rebel Without a Cause. That was 7th or 8th grade. In the 8th grade, the Math Club went to the nearby 4-plex and saw The Goodbye Girl. Then in the 9th grade, my English class went out to see Crossed Swords, aka The Prince and the Pauper.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
The only time I remember anything like that was my senior year of high school and we went on a class trip to the LaJade theater on Main Street to see Gandhi.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only one I can remember is "Lord of The Flies". There was another one I wish I knew the name of, It took place during WW2 and involved a German unit that was given orders to execute a bunch of civilians. One of the troopers is morally against committing the act and ends up refusing to follow orders. The film ends with him being gunned down along with the rest of the group. It wasn't a major film, but I'd like to know the name of it, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
When you were young, which films did your whole school or class went to see?
Based on the atrocious grammer of that sentence, I'd say your teacher should have spent more time teaching English and less taking the class to movies. ;)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mark-P said:
Based on the atrocious grammer of that sentence, I'd say your teacher should have spent more time teaching English and less taking the class to movies. ;)
By the way it's grammar. :D

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Steve Tannehill said:
That was 7th or 8th grade. In the 8th grade, the Math Club went to the nearby 4-plex and saw The Goodbye Girl.
Not school, but we had a church youth-activities club that was looking for any common-denominator movie to go out to, so we all went to see Richard Dreyfus (who was the big thing at the time, right after Close Encounters and Goodbye Girl) in The Big Fix:
A movie that made absolutely not the slightest bit of sense to us at the time (as its "What happened to the 60's?" theme was five years ahead of its time), until I saw it a year ago on Netflix, and it turned out to be an underrated lost sleeper. :)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
My high school managed to get a 16mm version of Lawrence of Arabia, but everyone was misbehaving that day so the movie was cancelled. I was bummed, although I saw the 70mm version 10 years later, so all was well in the end.......

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
I think it was junior high school, they bused us downtown to see Marooned.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
My school rarely did anything like take a class to a movie, but thinking back as part of our 2nd or 3rd grade 'field trip' we watched, The Little Prince.

One year in HS, right before Christmas break our school did have a 'movie day', and had 3 different movies available on VHS, having to choose one. I chose, Ladyhawke.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can't recall ever going to the actual movie theaters as part of school growing up, but we did watch the occasional VHS!

For elementary school, whenever it was a rainy day and outdoor recess had to be canceled, we were shown "Flight Of The Navigator" in 20-30 minute chunks. I must've seen that movie a hundred times, but never from start to finish.

In middle school, the lunchtime cinema offerings included "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Amadeus" (perhaps the only two videos the school had?) We watched "1776" in eighth grade (in half hour chunks over the course of a week) in American History class. The VHS version they had was a mixture of awful pan and scanning, as well as some straight up squeezing to fit the anamorphic frame into 4x3 area - particularly noticible during the main titles. (Even back then, I was, well, me.)

No videos during high school rainy lunches - but I recall watching "Citizen Kane" and "Blow Up" in a high school senior course on humanities - those movies had been on the curriculum for years, but the teachers didn't own them. When I saw them on the syllabus, I offered to loan them my VHS copies. Note to self: watching your movies in a class of bored teenagers is not an ideal viewing experience. "Schindler's List" was required viewing in ninth grade - I loaned the teacher my widescreen letterboxed VHS instead of the pan and scan copy the school had.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Gremlins was big. But also big were slightly older movies; everyone loved a teacher who would break out 'It's a mad, mad, mad mad world'. Always a class favorite

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I graduated high school in 1977.

I can recall two films which the entire middle-high school viewed in the confines of our own auditorium.

And how they got selected was always beyond me.

Fail-Safe and Good Neighbor Sam.

I could see that Fail-Safe might initiate some proper classroom discussions (as long as the kids weren't all scared to death afterward!)...but, Good Neighbor Sam??? An odd choice indeed.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
FoxyMulder said:
By the way it's grammar. :D
You know what is funny about that? I looked very closely for errors before posting because I knew that if there were any, I'd look really foolish! But that's karma for you - I leave a snarky comment, and it comes back to bite me in the ass!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mark-P said:
You know what is funny about that? I looked very closely for errors before posting because I knew that if there were any, I'd look really foolish! But that's karma for you - I leave a snarky comment, and it comes back to bite me in the ass!
We all do it, it is quite funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks