When you most expect it - you'll be let down: Disappointing Oscar Hopefuls

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    There was so much great expectation amongst
    the Hollywood community for the year-end movies
    that were being released in hopes of Oscar consideration.
    Never in recent memory have I seen so many Oscar
    hopefuls quickly get panned by critics and audiences.
    The three films that immediately come to mind are
    Vanilla Sky, Ali and[/b] The Majestic.
    All three of these films were riding on expectations
    that they would bring certain Oscar nominations to
    either the film or their stars.
    I have yet to speak to anyone that liked Vanilla
    Sky. I hear that while The Majestic is
    a decent film, it gets very predicatble and sappy.
    Lastly, it seems the critics and audiences are having
    a field day putting down Ali, a film that was
    geared to give it's star, Will Smith, an Oscar nod.
    Now, to be fair, I have to say I haven't seen any
    one of these movies. I am judging purely upon the
    critic reviews and those reviews posted in this forum
    and others. When there seems to be an overwhelming
    majority of lackluster reviews for these films, you
    begin to wonder what is going on.
    I am interested to hear from our membership as to
    what they felt about these three Oscar hopefuls and
    what films released this year they feel deserve the
    Oscar nod.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Ronbo,

I'm really anticipating the wide screen release of "Monster's Ball" starring Billy Bob Thornton and Halle Berry. Billy Bob Thornton had a great year and will probably receive an AA nomination for Best Actor if not for this film then certainly for "The Man Who Wasn't There". Also, according to critics that have seen "Monster's Ball", Halle Berry shows that she's more than just a beautiful woman but one that can act and is a favorite for an AA nomination for Best Actress. This film also stars Peter Boyle as Thornton's father and Heath Ledger as his son.

Crawdaddy

3. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I saw Monster's Ball several weeks ago at a sneak preview on campus (UCLA). It was a decent flick, if not a bit slow. The acting was impeccable, and you get to see quite a bit more of Halle Berry than just her acting [​IMG] I doubt it will win anything for the film itself, although the actors might receive nominations.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm floored by the lack of good films this year in general. So far...the only movies that I've been exited about have been Memento, A.I. (Don't shoot me, I liked it), and Lord of the Rings. Last year I had a hard time picking 10 movies, and this year I can't even get 5.

Eitherway I'll be disappointed with the Oscar Noms...as I always am. But this year I promise I won't bitch relentlessly (memories of Gladiator flashing through my eys) ...but then again...

Hehe. The only film that I haven't seen yet that I'm pumped for is The Royal Tenenbaums, but with Wes Anderson's against the grain humor, I'm sure he'll once again get no love from the academy (although he'll get some Sweet Stoney Lovin, hehe).

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Two things...don't forget Miramax's attempt at the gold: The Shipping News.
    And though we haven't met, Ron, I loved Vanilla Sky. One of my favorites of this past year[​IMG]
    Take care,
    Chuck

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

LOTR and AI will probally get nominated for special effects, Hopefully Jennifer Connelly will get some recognition for A Beautiful Mind(since she was overlooked last year with Requiem For A Dream).Of course I would Love to see Memento win Best Picture (I have a better chance of winning Lotto I think).

I havent seen Ghost World, Mulholland Drive(God, Im dying to see this), The Man Who Wasnt There a few others that have been pretty well received this year but those seem like the type of movies the Academy would overlook anyway.

I did see and enjoyed.....LOTR,Memento, Ali, Blow,Vanilla Sky.

I wouldnt be suprised if Memento got the nod for screenplay.

7. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I've been following and reading Variety, the industry trade magazine and sadly, Memento is not being pushed for anything.

~Edwin

8. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'd say that films that are made expressly for getting Academy Awards often fail in the attempt because they are so craven in their intentions. (Think Pay It Forward.) Sometimes it works (Chocolat, blecch), but I think most of the time people see through it. I think The Shipping News is one of those where people are going to see that it is merely a rote assembly of Miramax's stable of performers with manipulative direction.

Two of the three (The Majestic and Vanilla Sky) had targets on them from the outset. The former is a sentimental, old fashioned movie just waiting to get skewered by hardbitten critics (and deservedly so at some points), and the latter is a weird remake of a weird Spanish film. I'd pin the first one of being more directly made for awards considering Darabont's track record (and Carrey's lack of nominations), and I think at times it does show in the final product. I can't foresee Vanilla Sky ever having been a serious contender simply because it's too offputting to general audiences.

Ali suffers in comparision to 1)the real thing and 2)When We Were Kings. I still found it to be a generally engaging, well made picture, but it isn't rousing entertainment.

I'd caution studios against making films simply for awards because often the movies suffer for it. You're looking to create thirty second clips that highlight the movie rather than making a complete work of art. And, for what it's worth, A Beautiful Mind balances all of this rather well. It's a well made, excellently performed picture that is beautifully subtle (but not too much so). Mainstream audiences should love it, and I think more cynical viewers should give it a chance.

9. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

I havn't seen Ali yet but I am looking forward to it, Manns track record in inpecable.

I can't help but wonder though, considering the subject matter (islam) is Ali suffering because of the events of sept 11th?

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Whoops, my bad. As I was writing my last post, I kept thinking of "Best Movie," not those other categories. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

13. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

Michael, are you sure it's adapted?

The short story and movie came out about the same time so the movie is not based on some previously published material. This is akin to the situation that 2001 was in and it was nominated for Original Screenplay.

I could be wrong, that's why I'm asking.

BTW: I do agree that it should be up for Best Screenplay. The writers have had a history of recognizing smaller, offbeat films like this one.

14. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    "Oscar Buzz" pisses me off.
    "For Your Consideration" ads piss me off.
    Dropping 100+ Millions on one bad movie instead of making 10 low budget film pisses me off.
    We need salary caps like in professional sports for these actors that are getting 20 million a picture. Good Lord!!
    Maybe some of the films Ron mentioned started off good but somehow got overly-processed in the mighty Hollywood machine.
    I realize that films, while an artform, still need to turn a profit. But we are to the point that 98% of what Hollywood is throwing at us is formulaic, regurgitated, recycled, geared for "mass appeal" garbage.
    We need a film saviour!!
    With that, I really look forward to seeing The Royal Tenenbaums and Gangs Of New York.
    [​IMG]

15. Michael Reuben

16. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

Just to reinforce how bad a year this has been for film - I have seen more than 20 2001 movies, but NONE of them has completely satisfied me (including MEMENTO, LOTR, HARRY POTTER, WAKING LIFE, MOULIN ROUGE, A.I., etc.)! I was looking forward to this December, but there doesn't seem to be many good ones this month either after all the hype. I particularly thought ALI would be Best Picture quality, but I don't think I even really want to see it now that I've read some reviews. What a downer. [​IMG]

17. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Oscar to me is nothing more than a grouch. 'Memento' is movie of the year. [​IMG]

18. Michael Reuben

19. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

The Royal Tenenbaums. It's about damn time that Mr. Anderson and Co. get some recognition for the incredible movies they are churning out. C'mon, at least give him a best director nomination if nothing else, he can direct the pants off of just about any other active director.

20. Chris

Chris Lead Actor