What's new

when you can't "suspend disbelief" any longer... (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
This could easily be an endless thread, as movies are filled with moments that beggar the imagination.

However, one of the moments that stands out is from Cliffhanger. Stallone's character falls into a frozen lake or pond, breaking through the ice, and is submerged for a number of seconds. He then bursts out and takes out the bad guy, apparently not at all fazed by the icy water.

I was willing to forgive the movie quite a bit up to that moment, but that just felt like a direct insult.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Some have tried to point to 2001: A Space Odyssey, as much as it tried to cling to scientific possibility, as a having a scene that blows reality out of the airlock....the airlock sequence. I had a friend say that Dave could not have simply held his breath and survived the blast into the open airlock because he would have exploded etc. etc. I told him that he has been watching films like Outland & Total Recall too much, here are the facts

....of course he had no problem with the monolith, stargate stuff..;)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Better not let Jack Briggs hear any of that 2001 smack. :) Now Total Recall, where the eyes bugged out, and the tongue swelled like a watermelon, only to be fine once the air stabilized....that did suck, even if it was a dream.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Ahh...very true Kevin. I was just thinking of another movie that i like, and wonder HOW i can suspend my disbelief...FACE/OFF, what a dumb premise, yet i buy into it 100% and enjoy the hell out of it!:D

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I had a roommate in college who's favorite move was Rambo...and he left the room when I pointed out...

Wow - all of those guys shooting at him are missing, but he hits every one...

Wow - the bamboo field can stop machine gun bullets...

Wow - a helicopter has to get real close to make sure someone is dead...instead of just unloading their guns on him...

I was having a great time pointing out how unbelievable this movie was, but he wasn't seeing my points.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks