When Worlds Collide...........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Strang, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

It appears that this has been released. Anybody seen it the stores and/or watched it?
    ------------------
    We are the citizens of the United States of America. Resistance is futile. We CANNOT be stopped so don't bother trying.

2. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

I picked it up as a pre-order from DVDEmpire, haven't had a chance to view it.
    Todd

3. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I couldn't find it at Best Buy, Circuit City or Target!
    ------------------
    Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
    http://apacure.org/

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I picked it up tonight at Borders for $24.99; I'll let you know how it is on Sunday or Monday. I intend to watch it this weekend. Tonight...Enterprise is on, and I'm enjoying it so far despite myself.
    Funny thing about WWC, though. Y'know how this title is OAR of Academy Ratio? (Not suprising for this 1951 film.) Well, the standard "Widescreen Collection"-type banner is across the top of the cover art. But the word "Widescreen" has been replaced with the word "Paramount"!
    Is this the first "Paramount Collection" item released? Or has this been seen before, and I've just missed it? [​IMG]
    By the way, I couldn't find it anywhere else in checking 8 places, with one exception: Suncoast had it for $29.99!!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 26, 2001 at 08:18 PM]

5. Brad Nilsson

Brad Nilsson Agent

I'm surprised there hasn't been more "buzz" over this classic title. I couldn't find a review anywhere.
    I also picked it up at Borders yesterday. I'm looking forward to watching it tomorrow night (I think I fall for the Enterprise thing myself tonight!)
    Brad

6. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Good movie, but not a great one, and to me not worth the price PARAMOUNT is asking. If they'd just drop their retail fr catalog titles by five bucks, I'd buy dozens more of their DVD's.

7. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I watched this the other night. A good movie, but I was less than impressed by the transfer. Way too much grain, and though I'm no expert, the source material looked like an Eastmancolor print and not Technicolor. It's watchable, but considering the price(especially compared to MGM's Midnight Movies)and lack of extras, I was disappointed.

8. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

I still have the NTSC LD of this title. Is it worth it replacing it with the DVD?

9. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    ...Roland, the colors on the laser of "This Island Earth" were pretty good on the laser, the DVD was 19% cleared but the colors looked washed out. "Forbidden Planet", ditto. Let's hope that this DVD out surpasses the laser, which we both have...because ours is pretty damn good in CAV!!!

10. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I never had the WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE laser, so I can't compare it to the DVD. But I know that the WAR OF THE WORLDS laserdisc and DVD are superior to this new DVD.
    ------------------

11. Brad Nilsson

Brad Nilsson Agent

I finally watched the new DVD last night with my family. On my Mitsu 55" the print looked pretty bad, lots of blemishes and grain. It was watchable, though, and the colors were good.
    This is not a "reference quality" disc. But the story and George Pal effects are still great. If you love classic science fiction movies such as Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds, etc., you won't be disappointed. "When Worlds Collide" is in the same league.
    My eight year old was so enthralled by the movie he made me go out to the garage afterwards and dig up my old, old, old copy of the book "After Worlds Collide" which he promptly took up to bed.
    Brad