When will you stop collecting The X-Files?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ric Easton, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I have the first 3 season box sets and will probably get the next few, but...

I don't see myself buying this show til the end of the series. They really should have wrapped up this series a couple of seasons ago. Maybe with the ending of the Alien conspiracy saga...(uh, it did end, didn't it?) Or the final revelation as to what really happened with Mulder's sister...Or even the last episode of last season.

All I know is the show is a shadow of it's former self and I was wondering if even you die-hard X-files collectors will stop collecting the show before you have the complete series. With Buffy and Star Trek TNG finally coming out, I think my TV series buying money is better spent elsewhere.

-Ric

2. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

I will buy all the seasons even tho i agree after season 5 they begin to get weaker. There are still some great episodes in later seasons just not as many as in the earlier ones. I hope season 9 is finally the last i mean gillian anderson is leaving now. but somehow i see them going for 10 seasons. I am also looking forward to millenium season one sometime this year [​IMG]

3. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

I'll be buying all of them. I liked the show well enough until Mulder left (for good). Now it isn't very good, but if it doesn't go more than a year or two more I'll keep buying them. Maybe I'll stop buying when Gillian Anderson leaves the show, since she's the only reason I still watch it.

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I'll buy though Season 7. It should have ended there (or before even.) While the quality really drops off in Seasons 5-7, there are a few episodes that are amoung my favories: Bad Blood, Arcadia, and Dreamland I/II especially.

5. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

I have the first three so far as well, and will probably buy up through season 5. MAYBE season 6. From there on out, it's all just so downhill...they should have just killed the series and kept making feature films. Would have kept things fresh.

6. Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard Stunt Coordinator

Even last year I assumed I'd be buying the X-Files as long as there were seasons left to purchase. So far this season, however, I've seen NOTHING worth paying money for. Maybe a few snippets here or there, but not much.

There's no question on Seasons 1-8 for me - I'll buy them. I'll probably get Season 9 if it's the last one just to have a complete set. If the show goes beyond this year and the quality doesn't pick up, however, my collection will end with Scully's baby.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

As long as the upcoming sets are in widescreen, I'll buy 'em all.

-Dave

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The Conspiracy dies, I stop buying there. Frankly, I always thought the show needed more mythology, less monster of the week episodes. I think they died at the end of Season 6? At most I'll go through 7, because as much as I respect Robert Patrick, and love to make T-1000 jokes ("Why's that door stopping you! Oooze under it!") X-Files sucks w/o Mulder. [​IMG]

9. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'll collect the whole series. I just hope that they end it after Gillian Anderson and Chris Carter leave. David Duchovny was the heart & soul of the X-Files. After he left, the series lost its direction. I don't see Robert Patrick being able to carry the series in my opinion.

10. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

The sucker that I am I'll buy them all. Although this year is a mere shell of what this show used to be..

Greg

11. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I will continue to buy the series until they decide not to put anymore seasons out. By supporting TV series with your $$ that is the only way to insure that more and more series will be released. I also plan on getting Star Trek TNG and Highlander and hopefully when DS9 comes out all of them!

12. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I'll be getting them through season #5. I have yet to pick up #3 & #4 but I will eventually.

I loved this show right up to the "Fight the Future" movie, Which I really enjoyed and considered one of the 10 best films of it's year. Even though many X-File fans where disapointed in it. But season #6 was pretty bad and things went down hill from there. And I'm not buying this who "It's no good without Mulder" reasoning either, because last season the worst episodes where the ones that had Mulder in them.

Of course Scully has always been my favorite with exception of this year when she is given the worst dialog on the show. In my opinion the show should now focus more on Doggit and Skinner, I really do not like Annabeth Gish in this series at all.

What this show needs more than anything right now, Are some fresh writers. The storylines are pretty stale and redundant right now (not to mention downright silly). The show overall needs to have some life pumped back into it. Get the ball rolling on a new season long story line that at least makes a little bit of sense.

13. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

Which season was just before the movie?

14. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

So far I've got seasons 1-4, and I'm kind of waiting to see other opinions (like this thread) as to when to stop. As I never watched the show on TV - and don't want to stop now, as I'm years behind on the various plotlines - I don't have a reference as to whether a particular season is worth buying or not. So far I've enjoyed all I've watched, though. [​IMG]
    I did have the same question as ChrisLee, though - does the movie come after Season 5 (as I think I remember reading at one point)? Having not seen the movie either, I've been waiting to pick it up until it would fit in with what i've seen on the show.

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    The movie fits in chronologically between seasons 5 & 6.

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I'll buy through Season 7. I would stop at Season 6, except that I really love "Sein Und Zeit" and "Closure", and "Requiem" is a terrific full-circle ending to the series. Season 8 was mostly tripe and even the Mulder episodes weren't enough to save it, and Season 9 (from what little I've seen of it) is a joke and can barely even be called "The X-Files". After Anderson departs there really won't be ANY point to watching this show anymore.

-Lyle J.P.

17. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I'll buy through Season 7. I agree with Julie. The series has run its course and I've actually given up watching this season (I don't even tape them anymore).

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm thinking Season 5 might be the last one for me, then I'll actually get serious and buy the dts version of X-Files: Fight The Future DVD. [​IMG]

19. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug
    I'd love to buy these season sets, but haven't found a price I can justify. I pause when I do the math - I don't want just one season. 9 seasons? $900? Plus all the movies and equipment I will also want? Are there better prices out there than Costco on these sets?

20. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I've only just got Season One! I've watched a few of the episodes on TV over the years and enjoyed them. Wanted to see how it all began and get involved in the story so bought the first season a couple of weeks ago. Only watched the first four shows so far and love them.

I'll get the next season as long as I continue to enjoy this one.