When will we see Whale's "Show Boat"?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff_HR, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I am not aware of any immediate info about any release plans for this title. If anyone out there has any info, please let me know. In the meantime I won the 3 disc Criterion LD version of this film on ebay. Here are the some specs for those of you interested:

-Audio commentary by musical theater expert Miles Kreuger, providing information on the actors and comparisons to other versions of Show Boat

-Excerpts from the 1929 film version and 1932 stage version

-Life Aboard a Real Showboat, a short documentary made in the 1930s

-Radio Hall of Fame and Orson Welles' "Campbell Soup Playhouse" radio dramas based on Ferber's novel

I certainly hope that any DVD release will duplicate or surpass these extras from the Laserdisc.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This is actually one of the VERY few Universal films that Warner Bros. now owns (through MGM's purchase, then the Turner merger, etc)

Since the current Show Boat DVD is one of the very early MGM-Turner discs (read: laserdisc on a smaller disc), we'd probably have to wait for an SE. It would be neat if WB did a 2-disc edition containing all 3 versions.

3. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    From www.thedvdforums.com :

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Thanks for the news John, it is much appreciated! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I love the 1936 version. Something to look forward to! [​IMG]

6. RoyM

RoyM Stunt Coordinator

Wow, awesome news. Counting the announcements we already have for 2006, 1936 SHOWBOAT was the last genuine classic musical not yet out on DVD. It sounds like it will be a great set. I hate having to wait another year for it though.

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Sounds like another must-have Warner Bros. DVD set.

8. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

best news all week...can't wait

9. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

any more news on this?

10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    At one of the Warner chats at this site, they announced that the 3-film SHOW BOAT DVD set would be out in 2008.

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The 2008 date for the James Whale "Showboat" - featuring Paul Robeson as Joe - is now three years past. Has anyone heard any news about this film coming to even standard DVD? :huh:

12. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    2011 is the 75th Anniverary of the 1936 film and the 50th Anniverary of the 1951 film - It would seem an great oppourtunity like that does not come along very often ...so you would think WB would release the film set in 2011. So where is it? Meanwhile others films are with held until an anniverary date in 2014 or 2015 -

13. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

At this point, I don't give this any chance of making it to pressed disc or Blu-Ray. If WB did not think that the Harlow films were worth their efforts than Show Boat certainly isn't. I hope that I'm wrong, but I don't expect to see any more pressed disc classics from WB aside from the very top tier titles.

14. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

2011 is the 60th anniversary of the 1951 film. (I wish I'd kept the Criterion laser disk and the laser disk trilogy--both had exhaustive and I believe that George Sidney had a commentary on the 1951 film.

15. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen

The laserdisc of the Complete Showboat is still a prize possession of mine. Sits right there next to the Director's cuts of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World and The Alamo to one side and the Pioneer discs of Lost Horizon and 1776 on the other side.

As a dreamer, I still have hopes that Warner's will give the go ahead for the Blu-ray collection, but I also dream of Raintree County in Blu.

16. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I agree. I would not be a happy person if I didn't have the three SHOW BOAT set on laserdisc. Kept thinking for years that it'd be a DVD box set. No such luck, and these films are too special to be Archive releases (though there are many wonderful films in the Archives). I guess we have to wait and watch.

17. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    A few years ago I got into the Show Boat groove, and very luckily scored both box sets (the Complete and the Criterion) on eBay within a week or two of each other. Prized possessions, both -- along with Mad World, Alamo, and 1776 (Lost Horizon continually eluded me).

18. GMpasqua

GMpasqua Screenwriter

Greg
    "Show Boat" is known today due to it's popular score. Plus it's still performed in theaters - unlike Jean Harlow's films which are not nearly as well known

60th for 1951 (not 50th) sorry for the typo

Warner lives for Anniversary dates - to miss these two is a head scratcher

19. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The 1951 SHOW BOAT also outgrossed MGM's Oscar-winning Best Picture AN AMERICAN IN PARIS that same year, too. It doesn't seem to be prized nearly as much as it should. And Whale's 1936 version is one of the all-time great translations of a Broadway musical from stage to screen.

20. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter

Rob Ray
    Your last sentence explains why the previous sentence is true. The 1951 version is a colorful diversion and an example of the MGM musical close to its apex. The talent in front of and behind the camera is staggering. However, the anachronistic MGM studio orchestrations, the Fifties choreographic style, and the brightly colored costumes and sets which depict a Hollywood-ized version of the period keep the tale from being the epic saga of America's transition into the Twentieth Century that Ferber, Kern and Hammerstein envisioned. The 1936 version aims higher in this regard, even though it doesn't quite hit the mark. The attention to period detail in all areas is amazing. They get it right from a historical standpoint. The dilemma in comparing the two versions is this: The 1936 Cotton Palace offering of "The Parson's Bride" is the perfect encaptulization of what the show boats of the time offered their patrons and takes you back to the period as it actually was. The 1951 Cotton Blossom's offering of Marge and Gower Champion's singing and dancing skills bear no relation to the reality of the period but provides unbeatable musical entertainment.