When will we see Star Trek, The Original Series, in season boxes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tomoko Noguchi, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

Anyone know?

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Paramount has stated there are no plans for such.

3. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator

Martin Blythe’s comments left the door open for season sets in other regions (ie R2) first of all. Particularly after TNG is released I can’t see the R2 market tolerating 2 eps a disc x2 every two months.
    Rest assured it’s not a question of "if" TOS will be repackaged in box sets but "when". Personally I believe a price drop on the existing discs will signal that box sets are just around the corner.

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I believe Mr. Blythe stated they might consider TOS boxes only after the other three series are all released. If you assume (and it's by no means confirmed) that TNG will be followed by DS9 and then Voyager at the planned 1 season every two months rate, the earliest we might see TOS boxes would be fall 2005.
    I don't have any inside knowledge. It's just my speculation based on memory of what I've read here in the past.

5. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator

TOS has not been released at all on DVD in the UK so the restrictions that Martin was talking about only apply to the US. As evidenced by the wildly different packaging for TNG, Paramount Europe is a different entity to the US and can choose to release TOS in season sets if they so decide.
    My opinion is that it’d be ridiculous to follow the outdated 2eps per disc format so I think that when TOS is released in Europe it will be in season sets

6. Michael St. Clair

Has TOS been released in Japan?

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Jonathan, you're point is taken. My post was referring only to R1.

8. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I convinced myself a while ago that I would not buy The Original Series until they came in seasonal box sets with some extras and a reasonable price point. Because this is my favorite TV series and I'm essentially a weak person(facts that Paramount will undoubtedly benefit from for fans like me), I recently brokedown and purchased the first three volumes. Even though collecting the entire series this way is outrageously expensive, not to mention the shelf space for all 40 DVD's, I'll probably continue to buy them as my budget allows. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel if 2 or 3 years from now Paramount decides to release impressive seasonal box sets like they are doing for The Next Generation. I know that I won't be under any obligation to buy the new box sets at that point but I wish the studio could have gotten this right the first time in terms of consumer preference. I also know that the studio is in business to make the most money it can but it would still be nice to have some idea if or when The Original Series will be re-packaged in seasonal box sets. Oh well, I guess I'll just be one of many people who will be ticked off when/if it does happen. Boy, I wish I had more will power
    [​IMG]

9. Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner Stunt Coordinator

I bought them all as they came out, so while they are expensive overall, it was a small trickle so it didn't hurt. However, if they are re-released in season box sets, I'll go ahead and buy them as well, selling my old ones on ebay, or relegating them to a storage bin.

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

11. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

In Japan--no.