What's new

When will we see DPL III? (1 Viewer)

Todd Bohlke

Agent
Are there any new formats on the horizon of any substance ("killer apps" in computer jargon) that will make it worth upgrading a receiver? Is there anything coming out w/in the next year or so that would make me wait on a receiver purchase?

itai

Stunt Coordinator
i heard rumors about extra speakers formats, like speakers on the cieling and stuff, 10.2 is the future...
wife cant stand 5.1, so i'm not going to hang anything from the cieling yet...;)

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Before Dolby jumped from a noise reduction system for analog tape to a format for video playback (Dolby Surround, etc.), good old stereo receivers didn't change much for years. Now, the manufacturers have figured out what the computer companies have known for a while: Keep "upgrading" features every 6 months or so, and people will feel they HAVE to have the next, newer, "better" gadget. Afterall, we (the people who read this and other Audio boards) are the type of people who get obsessed with this kind of stuff and will pay anything to make ourselves feel like we have the best available equiptment, only to be smacked in the face with it all over again a year or so later. It will never end until we are out of money! The only way to avoid this dreaded Upgade-itis is to stay AWAY from stereo shops and these wicked forums! AAAAHHHHHHHH!!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I bet we'll see this before too long:

Receiver's and pre/pros are already begining to incorporate the capability for 6.1 and 7.1. I bet that DVD-A and/or SACD goes to at least 6.1 before too long. If the hardware is already there, no reason why the software shouldn't take advantage of it...

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of the reason why seperates are so coveted.

The ability to be able to upgrade the software to the latest "new and improved" format will go a long way in terms of money invested vs return.

Todd Bohlke

Agent
ok--since there are no "must haves" that are in the immediate future, I guess I'll buy my receiver and never visit this forum again to spare myself from upgrade-itis! Thanks for the replies:)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Todd,
Well there's always the "living vicariously through the purchases by others" aspect ;)
Regards,

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
ok--since there are no "must haves" that are in the immediate future, I guess I'll buy my receiver and never visit this forum again to spare myself from upgrade-itis! Thanks for the replies
HAHA:D

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
What about the buzz I've heard for Digital Amplification? I'm really not certain about exactly what it is, but there have been glowing (read:salivating) speculation about the technology.

As for a ProLogic III, my understanding is that the industry doesn't want to put too much more effort into a matrix formula. That being said, they have got to be impressed with the heavy sales PLII have spurred. As long as stereo signals remain a major carrier for audio, there will continue to be a market for matrix decoders.

Bill S.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

Digital amplifiers use the output transistors as switches. There is some argument about whether this constitutes a truly "digital amplifier". I'm not going to argue semantics, which is what this is. Those that feel they aren't digital amplifiers believe that a digital amplifier would have a digital input.

Because the transistors are switched, and no bias runs through them, they have tremendous electrical efficiency (85% is typical, I have seen them as high as 93%). For every 100w you draw from the wall 85-93% is output to the speakers. Typical amplifiers are no more than 60%, so for every 100w you draw, only 60w is available. Class A biased amplifiers are the worst offendors, with 25% efficiency typical.

Because they are efficient, the transformer need only be slightly larger than the maximum output capacity. Further, they don't need massive heat sinks (see above wrt efficiency).

I have worked with a couple of digital amplifiers, the Sharp SM-SX1, and the Bel Canto eVo6 (since replaced with the 200.6). The Bel Canto is a great amplifier, and I hope to be able to work with some of the other digital amplifiers out there, such as the Spectron Premiere and the Tact S2150.

I'm very interested in digital amplifiers, and after reviewing the Bel Canto amp, I know I've purchased my last non-switching amplifier.

Regards,

GregK

Screenwriter
For those of you who are waiting for "DPL-III", "DPL-IIB" or whatever they will call it, I'll do you all a favor and push those formats forward. And how's that you may ask? ..Well in a week I plan on buying a new receiver! :D
Right after I bought my present DD/DTS receiver, Dolby/THX introduced DD EX. :rolleyes:..But note my upcoming receiver upgrade is not just to replace my "home brew" dual receiver EX set-up, but I will also gain a host of new video and audio options, including DPL-2 and dts discrete 6.1. (Ladies and gentlemen, will I hear a REAL difference between DTS-ES 6.1 matrix vs 6.1 discrete? Of course seeing the Discrete 6.1 indicator light up will be neat, :p) but IS it a big sonic upgrade?
But anyway, get ready for a new surround format. They are just waiting for GregK to finally make his purchase! I know it!! :angry:

WIthin the last few months, I remember reading a very favorable review on the new PS Audio 2-channel digital amp in Stereophile. The reviewer was Sam Tellig. If memory serves me correctly the price was around $1,400 or so.

I think this will be the "next big thing." I also see Firewire becoming standard, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks