What's new

When will we see a *REMASTERED* reissue of THE LONGEST DAY? (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The Longest Day looks great on my 13" computer screen! However, it would be really great if Fox would remaster this for larger displays. If nothing else, I bet Twilight Time would release it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
LeoAmes said:
With so many fine classics completely absent, I'd rather see something else be remastered and released like Since You Went Away. Another great WWII film that helps show, better than most anything else, just what those on the home front were dealing with at the same time that millions of young American men (And several thousand nurses) were off overseas fighting the war directly.

It's an important aspect of that conflict that is all but forgotten today.

That said, I think the 75th anniversary would be a perfect opportunity for this film to reappear and give plenty of time for old stock to be cleared out. Hopefully the format is still doing at least as well as it today in 5 years time.
At my advancing age, I hope I'm still doing as well in 5 years time. ;)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Geoff_D said:
Anyhoo, Fox corrected Patton, and the original unmolested version of Predator is still in print, which just leaves The Longest Day as the biggest DNR disaster in their catalogue.
Are we forgetting the very terrible VON RYAN'S EXPRESS transfer?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
While The Longest Day is not the greatest looking transfer, I'd much prefer to see Rio Bravo remastered. That BD truly needs it.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
What made this film so innovative, was its use of multiple directors, depending on the scenes and nationalities of the soldiers.

Andrew Marton did the American scenes, Bernhard Wicki did the German scenes, and Ken Annakin did the British and French scenes.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This year was the 70th anniversary of D-Day and we didn't get the new transfer. So I would assume that Fox doesn't really care about the film at this point. Maybe again in 2024.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
xRighteous said:
Hi. Does anyone know why Fox still hasn't fixed this transfer yet? It's quite nerve-racking to say the least.
My theory is that the current release looks "great" to a lot of people that don't understand DNR, etc (heck, even some of the early reviews of the BD said it looked superb), and the current release sells pretty well (which is why the DNR'd version got a re-release as part of a set this year). I'm not sure why this one doesn't get a re-do and "Patton" did, as they both suffer from the same issues.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
jim_falconer said:
While The Longest Day is not the greatest looking transfer, I'd much prefer to see Rio Bravo remastered. That BD truly needs it.
I have Rio Bravo, it looks fine apart from some scenes in the barn early on in the film and i put that down to low bitrate during those scenes because it does drop ridiculously low at that point, other than those brief moments i am reasonably happy with the transfer, film grain is present and the movie looks like it should. Can it look better, sure i imagine a new 4K scan and high bitrate release would do the trick but you cannot change the original photography and i think the current release is decent enough.
xRighteous said:
Hi. Does anyone know why Fox still hasn't fixed this transfer yet? It's quite nerve-racking to say the least.
My friend Lucifer told me it's coming out when hell freezes over and cats and dogs start sleeping together, so not anytime soon.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
My friend Lucifer told me it's coming out when hell freezes over and cats and dogs start sleeping together, so not anytime soon.
I've actually seen cats and dogs sleeping together so perhaps all is not hopeless.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thomas T said:
I've actually seen cats and dogs sleeping together so perhaps all is not hopeless.
I have seen some YouTube videos where the cat uses a rabbit as a pillow, i guess that qualifies as sleeping together too. :lol:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My theory is that the current release looks "great" to a lot of people that don't understand DNR, etc (heck, even some of the early reviews of the BD said it looked superb), and the current release sells pretty well (which is why the DNR'd version got a re-release as part of a set this year). I'm not sure why this one doesn't get a re-do and "Patton" did, as they both suffer from the same issues.
Well it does look so much better than the DVD, it's just given the subject matter it could use a bit of grain. I wonder what they used when they made the Blu-ray all those years ago, a fine grain pos? I thought I'd read somewhere that they had redone it (maybe from the original negs), mind you, I also read that they'd redone Die Hard & The Planet Of The Apes, & no new Blu's of those either.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Billy Batson said:
Well it does look so much better than the DVD, it's just given the subject matter it could use a bit of grain. I wonder what they used when they made the Blu-ray all those years ago, a fine grain pos? I thought I'd read somewhere that they had redone it (maybe from the original negs), mind you, I also read that they'd redone Die Hard & The Planet Of The Apes, & no new Blu's of those either.
I think they sent it to the same place that worked on the re-release of Predator, it has the same look, in my opinion it's much worse than Patton and i don't think it's from a fine grain and i believe what you are seeing is DNR at work, i also think there is minor edge enhancement on display, as for Die Hard and the Apes film, i think they are saving those for a rainy day.

99.9% of the time it is certain that even a bad blu ray will look better than the dvd but that doesn't mean the blu ray itself will be watchable, it all depends on how you feel about the smooth look, it's a bit like the use of CGI with impossible camera angles that you sometimes see in modern films, our brains will know something fishy is going on and object to it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
99.9% of the time it is certain that even a bad blu ray will look better than the dvd but that doesn't mean the blu ray itself will be watchable, it all depends on how you feel about the smooth look, it's a bit like the use of CGI with impossible camera angles that you sometimes see in modern films, our brains will know something fishy is going on and object to it.
Oh I dunno, it really is a huge upgrade from the DVD.http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=2906&disc2=2905&art=part&cap1=26843&cap2=26833&hd_multiID=357&lossless=&image=0#auswahlIf Fox had just handled the dnr with a bit of taste & judgement, there wouldn't be much to complain about. I can still enjoy it. And remember Patton! Fox re-did it...& then released the old - House Of Wax - version in the UK! Something I'm not going to stop moaning about.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Billy Batson said:
Oh I dunno, it really is a huge upgrade from the DVD.http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=2906&disc2=2905&art=part&cap1=26843&cap2=26833&hd_multiID=357&lossless=&image=0#auswahlIf Fox had just handled the dnr with a bit of taste & judgement, there wouldn't be much to complain about. I can still enjoy it. And remember Patton! Fox re-did it...& then released the old - House Of Wax - version in the UK! Something I'm not going to stop moaning about.
Better than the dvd for sure but the dvd was atrocious to begin with, it's still one of the worst catalog releases out there on blu.

So that version of Patton selling on Amazon is the wax edition. ?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thomas T said:
And it froze over down here in New Orleans this past February, so hell has frozen over. :).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
So that version of Patton selling on Amazon is the wax edition. ?
Yep, it's a scandal! I get the impression that different departments at Fox act like competing companies, so the re-do of Patton came out of one departments budget, & they weren't about to let another department have it, so the part of Fox that does releases in Europe had to make do with the old version.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I had bought the four-pack - (Longest Day, Tora! Tora!, Patton, and Sand Pebbles) a while ago and finally watched The Longest Day last night. It is so much better than the DVD but the wax looking faces are pretty bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks