What's new

When will we see a new Portishead album? (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
The best I could find was:

But that news was from December 2003. Has anyone heard what is going on with the new album or how far along it is? I crave to hear some new Portishead but the news is scarce, its been about 6 years now.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Yes, I have been waiting.

As much as I hate to say this - I think the band has gone their own seperate ways and they might be done - for now.

A danm shame - their potenital was amazing. Why can't they release more stuff!!!

Only problem is there is not a lot of music like Portishead. Massive Attack is close, but not as dark and clam.

What do you recommend?

Oh well, I own a lot of CD's and enjoy lots of music.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

They would be similar. They are(were) both part of what is called Bristol Trip-Hop. Some others in this vein as well as Massive Attack;

Tricky
Smith and Mighty
Alpha

Also, expanding to a different area, I highly recommend the Drum n' Bass masterpiece:
[DJ] Roni Size and Reprazent- New Forms

Out of all these, Tricky appears to be consistently venturing and releasing EP's and Lp's. Although, not all "gems" he is still one of the more intriguing underground artists.

At their highest point though, I agree, Portishead was(is) unmatched.

There are acts with a similar feel, seek out these;

Kruder & Dorfmeister
The Beta Band(fabulous!)
DJ Shadow
GusGus

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I am a rabid DJ Shadow, Spooky, and Krush fan. I know of but have not explored K&D and GusGun. I have not heard of The Beta Band.

Thanks, I'll be looking into these artists.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
The Beta Band are great, but don't get too into them, they've just disbanded. Start with the "3 EP's" disc.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
GREAT news Nick! Thanks for the info. By the way, I just love this comment:

"...but generally we're doing another record."

Generally doing another record??? :D

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
This is slightly off topic, as I've never listened to this band. How is the band's name pronounced?

portis head or porti shed?

John McM

Second Unit
I remember when they first came out, thinking Beth Gibbons' was a one-named female singer (ala Jewel, Madonna, etc...) and she was named "Portishead".

So I was kinda surprised when I bought Dummy and then found out she was Beth Gibbons in a duo. Because the Sour Times video really focused on her like she was a solo artist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks