1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

When will TNN begin showing DS9?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jul 6, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Like the original Series, 85% of DS9 episodes will be new to me. Besides, with TNG coming out on DVD by the end of the year, it might be wiser to start showing DS9 now, rather than wait till next year..

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But why bother? You will be seeing this excellent series compressed vertically--making everything "squished up"--while that unbelievably annoying and obnoxious black message bar at the bottom of the screen fights for your attention. Trust us when we say you'd be better off purchasing at least Season One on DVD next year and deciding then if you want to continue with the remaining six seasons.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

See it unsquished now on your local TV station.TNN cannot show DS9 until the broadcast syndication contracts expire, which I believe is May 2004. Since the show has been delegated to 11AM or 4AM in most markets, very few people have even watched the show since it went off in 1999

If you recieve Philly channels in that part of Jersey, and have access to a VCR/TiVO, WTXF Fox 29 airs DS9 at 4AM Tues-Sat(and 2 episodes of the other syndication track on Monday morning, 3-5AM) Currently they're in the middle of Season 6, NOT a good starting point. They have also been airing them in order, and from what I can tell, uncut. I've really been enjoying seeing the series again in order! It's as good, or better than I remember it, and the whole thing hangs together as a cohesive whole for the last 3 seasons 5 much better in 5 days a week format

It'll probably recycle to the beginning around the end of August

If you get New York channels, Check the Startrek.com library section, click on Deep Space Nine, then click on an episode and choose "Where to Watch" that will guide you to showtimes

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Jeff Kleist wrote:

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'll be damned, we do get some of the philly stations. But I've already seen most of Season 6, wich kind of stinks for me. Have to wait till they start over, but once they do, summer may be over, and we won't have access to it again :/...

6. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

Another problem with watching DS9 on TNN, is that the chronology will be totally ruined probably. With TNG, they may show up to four episodes a night, but based on what I see from my satellite's info button, they are all picked at complete random from the 178 episodes. No order. Tasha Yar could be dead and forgotten at 8:00 and 9:00, be alive and well at 10:00, then forgotten at 11:00 with Dr. Crusher dissapearing also. No rhythm that I have noticed, not that I've tried to pay attention to the broadcasts on TNN in the first place.

7. Jeff Kleist

Watching DS9 out of order is worse than watching Buffy out of order, at least with Buffy, it's only 22 episodes an arc. If you watch the last 75 or so of DS9 out of order, you will be amazingly confused. And yes, Season 3 is when the main Dominion arc gets going, they hit the gas at the end of season 4, and light the afterburner at the end of 5, and don't let off till the last episode
    The marker, at least for me of when the series went from great to outstanding is when Avery Brooks shows up with his shaved head [​IMG]

8. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

DS9 became my favorite early on; it was easily the most solid (including Season 1 & 2) compared to any of the other modern trek's seasons 1/2. DS9 was consistently good, and the story arc - which closed on events dating back to season 1 provided a really strong footing for it.

I will definitely be picking up the DVDs

10. Jeff Kleist

That was the beauty of DS9, flowing continuity. So many Trekkers hate it because it's a totally different show than the others. The people on it aren't saints, they don't sit in the quarters and wax philosophical while playing their flute and drinking Earl Grey, they're too busy trying to keep Grand Central Station running while trying to defend the most strategicly valuable point in the quadrant, and at the SAME time dealing with what's happening on Bajor and its recovery from the occupation.
    Yes, even Season 1 is remarkably solid in comparison to the other Treks, it hangs together, and with the rest of it, and serves to introduce many of the outstanding supporting cast. Vedek Wynn, Garek, Morn etc. Let's not forget that late in season 6 we get Vic Fontaine! [​IMG]
    What a show!

11. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Jeff Kleist wrote:

12. Jack Briggs

Counter to Rex's worthy opinion, I say one should start with DS9 from the beginning. The pilot's discomforting briefing between Picard and Sisko alone is classic. If one is a Trek fan, then he or she is going to hop aboard DS9 for the complete ride.

13. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I too heard about "edits" to DS9 for violence sake; and I know that Robert Woolfe, a writer for the show who participated in USENet talked about it at one point, I'd have to search Google.

Realistically, some of the battle scenes and episode blocks of DS9 during the dominion war were more exciting then almost any of the movies; in fact, despite all the ramp of "the borg" etc, I found "the dominion" to be the best of any of the "enemies" in that the dominion were basically just xenophobes, striking back after being virtually exterminated at one point in the distant past - a message we get an early peek at in Season 2, I believe (in an episode where a single man escapes and forms his village from a hologenerator)

The story of the dominion was interesting, they were bad guys that weren't "all bad" they had a quality to them that made them more then "these guys are evil" type characters that I liked.

I also really enjoyed the maturation of many of the characters; DS9 will always be a show that intrigues me because of those things.

14. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Best Trek show of all time; one of the better sci-fi shows of the 90s. The long, thoughtful story arcs were brilliant, making this a strong contender for one of the best television shows in recent memory.

15. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Just to add my .02...

As much as I like TNG I won't be buying them on DVD. I will pre-order the DS9 DVD's as soon as possible. It is definitely the best of all the ST shows.

I have to agree with Jack AND Rex. As Jack mentions, there are plenty of good moments in season's 1 and 2 to make it worth your while. You should start at the beginning. Rex is also correct that the show really starts to deliver in season 3. Season's 5-7 are just awesome.

Some of best moments in all of ST happen in DS9:

The Visitor
    Far Beyond the Stars
    Wrongs Darker than Death or Night
    In the Pale Moonlight

Try to find topics like this on TNG.

FWIW, I thought that Vic was a great addition.

16. Jeff Kleist

DS9 was always about shades of grey. The other Trek shows have always been much more Black and white.

Jack, I think we're all just saying that if you find Season 1 a bit lacking, hang on a bit, because it'll REALLY start to rock later on

I would imagine that DS9 DVDs will start sometime after TNN gets their airings in. Sigh

I hope I'm wrong

17. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Only then does the series begin to show its true potential, in my opinion"

I dont agree with that either. There were some really fantastic episodes in seasons 1 & 2.3 does stand out as a really amazing season though.

Im one of the few who thinks the show got a bit worse after Worf joined.

18. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I waffle on this series, as I never got into it during original broadcasts. This thread has me back on board for the DVDs. I hope we have an announcement or a date in the next few months so I know when to prepare.

19. Jack Briggs

My fave DS9 is still "For the Uniform." Love it. "The Visitor" is simply lovely--it is to DS9 what "The Inner Light" is to TNG. Touching, poignant, and human.

I need all seven seasons on DVD. No way around it.

20. Jeff Kleist

I think the main problem with DS9 is the the first few seasons were very good, but the absolute greatness that is the last 3-4 seasons overshadows it