What's new

When will Pioneer learn to include 3:2 pulldown into a budget DVD player (DV-444)? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The cover article in the September 2001 issue of Sound & Vision is on four new DVD players, including the Pioneer DV-444. As may be obvious, the '444 is the replacement model for last year's DV-434. At first, I was impressed by the '444. It is very small at only 2.25" tall, plays CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3-encoded CDs, offers progressive scan video output (more below), and has good looks with its silver chassis. As I read the article in Sound & Vision, however, I became disappointed in learning that the '444, like last year's '434, has an internal line-doubler and does not do 3:2 (aka 2:3) pulldown. With the competition (e.g., JVC, Sony, and Toshiba) offering similarly priced or lesser expensive players with 3:2 pulldown, I do not understand what Pioneer is doing. When will they learn? Why can't Pioneer make a true progressive scan DVD player in the budget price category? What is the point of a player with just an internal line doubler? I feel Pioneer generally makes excellent products, but I can't understand what they have done with the '434 and now the '444.
In a related matter, what is the point of the new Pioneer DV-341? I saw one at Best Buy for around $160 or so. It has no optical digital output and seems to be bare all around. Pioneer only released the DV-343 a few months ago, and my local Best Buy doesn't even have it anymore. I guess the forthcoming DV-440 at $200 will be Pioneer's quality budget player. Still, I don't see the point of the '341. They should have stuck with the '343 along with the '440 or gone with the '440 alone, in my opinion.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on August 27, 2001 at 05:24 PM]

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't go for a Pioneer Progressive unless it was one of their higher grade Elite models.
Secrets of Home Theater has a scathing review of lesser models they recently reviewed.
Budget player means budget progressive as far as Pioneer goes it would seem.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I have the dv434 paired with a Panasonic PTWXF95 56" 16:9 set and it puts out an excellent picture. The lack of 3:2 pulldown has not hurt it's performance on my tv. In fact i got a Panasonic RP91 last week and am returning it tommorow. I was extremely dissapointed in the picture quality, the pioneer's picture is much better on my tv. I really wanted to like the rp91. The audio quality is awesome on the 91 but the picture just isn't there. I tried all the tweaks and tips from this forum and others but i just couldn't get the picture anywhere near where i liked it. At times the picture looked good, but not enough times to justify keeping it. As sad as it sounds, the cheap pioneer looked better
frown.gif
I really loved the dvd audio on the 91, but i can't keep it just for that.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I am gonna return the Panasonic today and try one more unit. I really want it to work well trust me. The dvd-a performance was great and left me wanting more. I really hopw there isn't anything wrong with the tv. I don't think there is because the pioneer looks good(HT Mag gave it's picture quality a good review)and dss looks good for a rear projection set. So hopefully the new unit will be fine. I will post my findings here.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
I dont want to get blasted, but I like the 434 also. The picture is nearly flawless to my eyes on my kp53hs30 during the feature film, and only has very slight combing on scene transitions in the extra materials on most dvds. I dont see the chroma bug in toy story, although I would prefer not to have it pointed out ! :)
Anyway, I only paid $129 for it about 6 months ago, and I bought it to use in interlaced mode. Im thinking of getting a JVC 65 just to see if I'm missing out on something. I won't pay $500 or more for a dvd player of any sort, but I am kind of lusting for the Philips Q50
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks