When will Pioneer introduce an affordable DVD-A/SACD player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Lane, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I have not heard any recent news on new Pioneers DVD offerings for the new model year. They seem to be the only manufacturer who has yet to introduce an affordable DVD-A/SACD player in their model lines.

I am a bit partial to Pioneer players, and would buy a Progressive scan DVD-A player in a heart beat around the 300 dollar range. Seems like they are missing out on a large market.

J

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, the word going around here a few weeks ago was that Pioneer will release the Elite DV-45A progressive-scan SACD/DVD-Audio player for around $500 by the end of the year. I don't know if it's official.

I have long wondered why Pioneer has not released a budget DVD-Audio player for the US market. Pioneer did release the DV-646A in Europe and the equivalent '733A in the far east. A US version would have been nice.

3. Neil R

Neil R Agent

Pioneer is coming out with an improved version of the 47a with firewire for $1200 retail. They are also coming out with a 45a model for $700 retail. Both are expected out by fall.

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Well I was checking out Pioneer's site and that they now have the DV-656A available, which is a progressive/DVD-A player. Retail is $329, though I have not seen this advertised anywhere yet. Looks like it could be a very nice player.
    Pioneer DV-656A
    J

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, the '656A is news to me. Thanks for sharing. I assume it will replace the European '646A, but will be available in the US. That is very good news.

6. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

of course, if only pioneer could get rid of the damn chroma bug...