When will new albums be released on SACD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    It struck me 2-day that virtually all SACD releases are old albums. There might be a scant few releases from DMP, AudioQuest, or other audiophile labels that were released new, but what about silly Sony? Do they have even one SACD release of a new album? I can't think of one[​IMG] ? Can you? Where is this format going if it's just a re-release format? Will that change? Wwwwwwwwwhat's up?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, I agree that SACDs of newer titles are lacking from Sony. Here are a few that come to mind (the music doesn't interest me in most cases):

Ricky Martin Sound Loaded

Jennifer Lopez album (don't know the title off-hand)

Train Drops of Jupiter

Aerosmith Just Push Play

The Sopranos: Pepper & Eggs

Michael Bolton greatest hits

Mary Chapin Carpenter time*sex*love*

Celine Dion All the Way...A Decade of Song

In these cases, the SACDs didn't come out too much later than the CDs.

3. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

I would think that SACDs recording in DSD at the start of the process(live) and mixed with DSD machines would be 'new' and there are several of them. Telarc has some, the 1812 is one. Opus3 has some as do others. Popular music is probably another matter.....

When CDs first came out(according to my memory) weren't they mostly poorly recorded or processed popular music? With the better ones being classical and jazz, lead by telarc? It seems the same pattern is being followed with SACD and DSD. For the most part.

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Just as Joe has alluded to, I think the reason we see more "old" albums being released on SACD is that they were originally recorded in analog (and not DSD) and they probably convert more easily to DSD. Whereas most new albums probably have alot of PCM processing somewhere in the recording chain, and it shows when processed to SACD (at least on the Sony discs).

Once DSD is used more frequently we should see more "new" albums hitting SACD. Case in point the new Jorma Kaukonen album that is due in June on Columbia, was recorded in Nashville a few months ago, and is currently in the mixing stages. This album was recorded live in the studio (with few if any overdubs) to DSD, being mixed in DSD for stereo and 5.1 surround and will come out on SACD.

So the more projects we see from major labels in DSD the more "new albums" will we see on SACD.

I think for the time being - analog lends itself better to a quality DSD transfer, at least moreso than PCM to my ears, so that is why we are getting more older albums.

There also might be contractual issues at work as to why newer albums don't make it to SACD - but that could merely be conjecture on my part.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Michael,

They also use DSD for archiving older recordings, so that plays a valuable role as well.

Lee