When will manufacturers stop using so many legacy connections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jo_M, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Am I the only one who thinks that having 10 s-video or composite connectors on a receiver is rediculous? If I'm paying $1000+ for a receiver there's a 99% chance that my other equipment is not using composite connectors. I'd love to see a company come out with a receiver with 5 component in's (all high bandwidth), 3 digital coax in, 4 or 5 optical connections, and two 6 channel analog inputs for DVD-A and SACD. Save the money on those old connections and get with the times. (i have stepped off my soapbox)

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Jo:

You raise a good point, but the problem is a lot of people STILL have those 'legacy' connectors, even if they're buying a $1000+ receiver. VCRs (yes, some people still use those) and PVRs seem to lack component output for the moment, and a lot of people have TVs that can't accept component input. I still get people coming into my store (buying PS2s) that ask for RF connectors.

I think those legacy connections will be around for quite a while.

3. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Jo,

I don't think your dream receiver would sell very well.

4. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I'm not saying do away with all of the composite/s-video I'm just saying that the more $$$ recievers should have the features that are more common of the equipment.

5. IraSWeiss

IraSWeiss Stunt Coordinator

We need multiple component video inputs(more than two, that's for sure, and some sort of HD inputs (Multiple Firewire and/or DVI)and whatever (whenever) is finalized for DVD/A and SACD.

More companies should upconvert video like Denon, Kenwood and Pioneer for a start.

More companies should do universal DVD/A, DVD/V, SACD players like Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha and price them affordably. That would help too as you would not need to sets of jacks to accommodate both hi-res audio formats.

I'd gladly add an inch to each dimension to accommodate extra jacks.

Ira S. Weiss

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Jo_M, what would I then do when I wanted to show someone a picture I just took on the digital camera? Its rather easy to simply plug a single conductor from the digicam to any of the composite inputs and have at it. Also, unless we replace the composite/s-video connectors with something else (USB, firewire, etc.) then would I do for the camcorder, digicam, etc., etc.
    BTW, I have an integrated receiver that lists for $1400. I use the composite and s-video for monitor-out. I do use component for the progressive DVD player, but my Philips DirecTV-TiVo unit doesn't have component, only composite and s-video (and F-connector). Should I do without the convenience of running it through the receiver, too?
    I do understand where you are leading your discussion, which is for industry to move away from older, less-resolving transport standards and better utilize a receiver's rear-panel real estate for more newer interfaces.
    I think what you are looking for could be nearly had, but you are not willing to pay what it costs to acquire it. Not your fault, of course, because I'm just as poor. [​IMG]
    Have a look, but its still not up to your desired specs. Maybe you should start a business ... Sunfire Theater Grand III

7. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

My point was definitely not to eliminate the composite and S-video connections but to find a happy medium between all of the connections. For computer geeks out there, I'm sure you've seen the Abit motherboards that have no legacy connectors. Is it for all users, no, but for those who don't need the older connectors it's a nice option. I understand that the manufacturers are trying to please the mass market so they make decisions that please some people are frustrate others. Sony probably makes 8-10 different receivers, it shouldn't be out of the question for one of those to have less composite and more component connectors. It makes me feel like the companies are just so out of touch with what people actually want and need. A lot people on boards like these could offer some great insight into the mind of the HT enthusiast, I hope the manufactures take some time to listen to us.

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Jo's right. I hardly ever hear anyone complaining about not having enough composite connects, but only about not having enough component or perhaps digital connects. Jo's also correct in stating that that happy balance isn't there at present. I also believe that those connects are going to be even more important down the line and that we don't only buy our equipment for this moment but for the future.

9. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Ira just a cool tidbit, i.Link can actually be setup as a network. So you could link your i.Link capable cd player to your i.Link capable PVR, to your i.link capable dvd player, and then to your i.link capable receiver. So you wouldn't need multiple inputs on your receiver so you can connect each one. Also even if your dvd player is in standby mode it can still transmit the signal from your cd player to your receiver through the i.link cable. Pretty cool, huh? I hope more companies start using this technology instead of just Pioneer. It isn't made by Pioneer it's actually made by Texas Instruments, so it's not propreitary technology. Therefore, Yamaha could make an i.Link capable dvd player and it would communicate with a different brand receiver say the 49TXi.

I wonder if these comanies that use the firewire port for software upgrades could with some new software make it operate as in input for audio. Actually they'd probably have to do some rewiring to make it work.

Daniel Smith