What's new

When Will John Sturges The Satan Bug Be Released On Region 1 DVD? (1 Viewer)

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Does anyone know if the 1965 movie The Satan Bug starring George Maharis and directed by John Sturges is going to be released anytime on DVD in the United States? Which studio owns the rights to The Satan Bug?

Thanks

Robert

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to get my hands on a R1 version of this title, or even a non-R1 version that doesn't have forced foreign subtitles. In the mean time I usually watch my WS Laserdisc when I want to see this film.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
How about an espionage box set with this and upgraded versions of Ice Station Zebra and Where Eagles Dare.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I forgot about this film until seeing it mentioned here and since I have been turning my attention to Region 2 films not released here I will definitely purchase the one decent Italian release in widescreen, Dvd Basen had one English language review link and they had a few screen shots as well. Since it may never see the light of day here I am actually going to buy the Oppo HD981 just for the Region 2 films. No use missing out!

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis

I have the Italian DVD and it was great to this film in 2.35:1 anamorphic at long last !

I would rate picture quality as slightly below average. The colours are OK, but detail is low.

The Italian subtitles are forced (on the English soundtrack). However, I managed to turn them off, after some fiddling with the languages on my DVD Player setup.

The packaging says distributed by MGM Home Entertainment.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I plan on buying this to replace my present, but aging multi-regional PAL-to-NTSC DVD player. I have the Italian DVD too. I wonder if the Oppo will be able to get rid of the forced Subtitles? My present multi-regional PAL-to-NTSC DVD player does not seem to be able to.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just recorded it off TCM on Wednesday morning and burned a DVD-R for myself. Naturally, we really need an anamorphic widescreen release, but as it's a United Artists film, I'm not holding my breath for MGM to issue one.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
It'd make marketing sense to me if MGM released a wave of their remaining unreleased-in-R1 catalog espionage flicks (both the serious and the silly), in October/November, to coincide with the theatrical release of QUANTUM OF SOLICE. Then, maybe we could get our hands on:

THE SATAN BUG (1965)
DANGER ROUTE (1967)
MASQUERADE (1965)
THAT MAN FROM RIO (1964)
HOT ENOUGH FOR JUNE (1964)
OPERATION KID BROTHER (1967)
SOME GIRLS DO (1969)
MATCHLESS (1967)
THE MILLION EYES OF SUMURU (1967)

For that matter, Warner could do likewise, with:

TELEFON (1977)
THE DOUBLE MAN (1967)
THE VENETIAN AFFAIR (1967)
WHERE THE SPIES ARE (1965)
THE LIQUIDATOR (1966)
A MAN CALLED DAGGER (1967)

Columbia:

MAN ON A STRING (1960)
OUR MAN IN HAVANA (1959)
THE DEADLY AFFAIR (1966)
A DANDY IN ASPIC (1968)
THE LOOKING GLASS WAR (1969)
KISS THE GIRLS AND MAKE THEM DIE (1966)
HAMMERHEAD (1968)

Universal:

ARABESQUE (1966)
AGENT FOR H.A.R.M. (1966)

Paramount/Legend Films:

FRAULEIN DOKTOR (1969)
INNOCENT BYSTANDERS (1972)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The Italian release doesn't have forced subs. Or at least they don't pop up on my computer. I don't have a pal player.

Doug

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
You must have a different DVD than I have then. :frowning:

I recorded it the other day too. Now I have that DVR recording & my Laser. :eek:

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
The Italian DVD definitely has forced subtitles, however as said above this can be disabled with a few makes of DVD player, also some PC based DVD player software.

Is this actually Warner or MGM now as the UK VHS was a Warner release in the same way as a lot of the older MGM films of that era, which are now Warner on DVD as well.

The DVD however is very cheap so worth getting even if you can't disable the subtitles.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

My understanding is that this is one of the few titles that stayed with MGM, mainly because it was UA/Mirisch along with the Pink Panther movies.

Doug

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, it'coming to R-1. I'm amazed no one has yet posted the DVD Drive-In link. Here it is:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/

Scroll down a little ways the announcement about "MGM's limioted edition" MOD program. Apparently, THE SATAN BUG will be in the initial wave,

THE SATAN BUG is available for preorder at the TCM website, tcm.com. Price is $19.99 plus shipping, with a shipping date of 12/15/10.

THE SATAN BUG is available for preorder at the TCM website, tcm.com. Price is $19.99 plus shipping, with a shipping date of 12/15/10.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The Satan Bug is an excellent and unusual suspense thriller. Imaginatively shot by John Sturges. It could have been better if it had followed Alistair MacLean's novel more closely. It is hard to get used to some of the casting if you know the novel. I'll definitely order this MOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks