When will dishnet get NFl ticket?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Kr, May 13, 2001.

1. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

I am moving at the end of the month and love my dishnet but am thinking of getting direct tv instead so i can get football. Anyone know if dishnet will get this soon?
    Thanks

2. GaryS

GaryS Agent

Don't hold your breath. The current DirecTV contract runs through the 2002 season and Charlie (Dish CEO) has said on numerous occassions that he will not pay the $$$ the NFL would ask for. He has also said on numerous "chats" that if you want one of the sports packages to go with the "other" provider.

3. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Sounds like Charlie has a pretty big ego. Maybe some of us will go with the "other" supplier. At least that way, the customer can get what he/she wants.

4. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Charlie Ergen's position (and I have heard this from other people as well) is that every DirecTV sub pays a little extra to offset the cost of NFL ST and he did not want to raise the cost. He has always been hitting the fact that Dish is cheaper so it hurts that postion in his mind to get ST. Also, DirecTV knows that it gets many subs because of that package making the cost of losing it high for them and they will bid the price up very high to try to keep it.
    Many people feel that Dish has better movie packages than DirectTV and at least temporarily Dish has the WB and UPN superstations package although that could stop any day now.
    Also, keep in mind that Dish and DirecTV don't always carry all of the same local cities so your choice could come down to that. If you are adventurous, you can use a DirecTV Plus dish to pick up Dish for your main programming and DirecTV for NFL ST.

5. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

"He (Charlie) has also said on numerous "chats" that if you want one of the sports packages to go with the "other" provider."
    How nice to hear someone tell like it is, and not sugar coat something like a used car salesman would. That's why I like the guy!

6. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

what is direct tv plus?