What's new

When Will All This "Reality Tv" Madness End? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Oh, there will probably be a backlash when somebody on a reality show dies on-camera. Even more backlash if it is a gruesome death. And maybe the backlash will be enough to put a big dent in reality shows. But probably not. The ratings will probably go through the roof instead. Don Henley wrote a song about it about 20 years ago.
Another thing that might stop them is if a network loses a lot money due to a "reality show"-related lawsuit.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The problem with reality shows is that everybody joins on them voluntarily and aware of the dangers, so if someone dies, it's technically their fault.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not necessarily. I could very well see someone getting seriously hurt on Scare Tactics, for instance.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
This whole thing is terrible, when did it start? Used to be just one or two shows, fine, now there is like 20 every week on every channel.
Of course it's cause they're cheap and people watch them.
The only hope I have is that this craze will simply pass and be the ridicule of the early millennium 5 or 10 years down the road. :angry: :thumbsdown:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Oh quit your bitching, people... :)

How many cop shows are there on the air? Sitcoms with a "regular Joe" and his hottie wife? Medical dramas? I can't stand 90% of them, but if people like them, it makes sense for the networks to keep them. Same with "reality shows". Get over it.

/Mike

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I did hear on the Radio this morning that supposedly there is a decline in the Reality Rush among viewers, but I haven't seen that in the Ratings Reports we get from Fox.

I can only hope they end soon:)!

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

I am willing to bet there is more writing on the these shows than people realize, especially with these "dating" shows. The basic head to head "sport" style reality TV is easy because each week can revolve around one or two or ten events. The dating ones are harder because one hopes that these "random joes" that are picked (auditioned, screened, etc.) can hold people's interesting for a half season or so. While it probably isn't "scripted" I have no doubt people aren't just left to their devices. I don't worry about it, though. There have been "reality" shows for decades. They are just game shows in more contemporary settings. Dating Game but not on a set. Battle of the Network Stars without stars. I remember eating that stuff up when I was a wee one (well, when the cast of Love Boat was on it, I guess). As long as there is strong counter programming, I am cool with that. I don't need a lot of TV a week so if I get 2-3 good shows a week, I am fine (Angel, Buffy, Alias, thank you...). If people need a TON more television to fill out their schedule, then there are some more significant problems than reality tv shows.

Phil

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think we should look at "reality TV" contestants as lowly paid workers of the entertainment industry. It's like shipping off the manufacturing process to a country with low labor rates. This is the reality of producing prime-time TV shows nowadays in a period of declining advertising dollars.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Even worse than the programming itself, is having to listen to people talk about them. Whether it's people at work, talk show hosts, people on the street, or whatever, these things are like an airborne virus, inescapable even if you avoid the actual programming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks