when were you fooled by Movie Soundtrack realism

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien Montanile, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

people are always talking about how good their hometheaters sound (and they have every right to with the amount of money we put into these things). What DVD/LD titles sounded so realistic you needed to "inspect" where the sound was coming from because you couldnt tell if it was reality or coming from your speakers. While Im sure I can recall a few, one comes to mind..

I was watching Amistad and started Dozing off just a tad (not totally sleeping just very relaxed and into the movie) At one point Morgan freeman goes to a publication which is HQed inside a clocktower. The Bells started going off, which scared the hell out of me and made me run over to the window and life the blinds...I then realized that it was the movie when I finally started gathering my senses from being startled out of my trance.

Anyone else?

-D

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I get my butt kicked by rain on movie soundtracks often. Sometimes it is just perfectly captured in all the speakers that I have to check.

3. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

When watching The Exorcist:TVYNS there is a moment where the phone rings. Even though we don't have an old style bell-ring phone, the two of us looked at the phone to make sure it wasn't ours. (And yes, we've also been fooled by rain on a DVD many times, sometimes pausing the movie to make sure it isn't outside.)

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

One afternoon I was watching Final Destination on my newly setup HT system. Here in England it rains quite a lot, but this summer was reasonably pleasant. At the credit sequence, the speakers started to swell with rain and I thought "Jesus christ I knew that run of luck wouldn't last" as I approached the window. Looking out... nothing.... that rain on Final Destination is astonishing in its clarity and realism. Its the first and only time I've been completely fooled by surround effects.

5. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

6. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

In Jurassic Park 3, when the satellite phone rings the first time (off camera), I thought someone's cell phone was going off in the theater. Then they showed the phone and I felt pretty dumb.

Aaron

7. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

It's the very subtle tracks that usually fool me. While watching the episode of From the Earth to the Moon focusing on the Apollo 13 mission I was sure I heard faint voices outside my basement window and almost got up to look when I realized it was just the background chatter going on in the mission control room.

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Actually during my last viewing of Fellowship of the Ring. During one of the scenes where the ring whispers, I turned around and almost told the person behind me to shut up. Thankfully I realized quickly enough that it was the ring thus preventing the possibility of being punched in the head. [​IMG]

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Yeah, rain and thunderstorms in films always do it. In addition to the phone ringing in 'Exorcist TVYNS', another moment in that film always makes me turn my head, it's the scene when Ms. McNiel first brings father Karras home to meet Reagan, as he walks into the house you can hear Reagan wheezing from the rear right speaker only, and it really creeps me the fuck out! Because it sounds like she's right behind me!![​IMG]
    Even thought I know it's the movie, I still HAVE TO look just to make sure, I don't know why.

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Das Boot has several sequences where the sub is very quiet except for the sound of dripping water from various leaks. This has on more than one occasion had me getting up to check the kitchen faucet to see if it's all the way off, sometimes twice in one showing.
    Phones ringing and knocking at doors in movies often have my little dog up and barking, not to mention her agitation at cats meowing in films.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The airplane mishap in Almost Famous. When that first slap of turbulence hits, I always jump.

In The Big Hit (yes, I know it's a terrible movie), Avery Brooks grabs a cellphone out of someone's hand and tosses it to the rear left, where you hear it clatter to the floor. Even in the theater, people turned to look.

M.

12. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

My first real surround experience was in a theater. My hearing is not all it should be, so I don't always pick up on surround effects. But there is one scene in Mission: impossible where Tom Cruise and Jon Voght are talking in the train cart, and a helicopter arrives over the cart. You just hear the sound, you don't see it. I actually looked up to see where the sound was coming from. Afterwards I sat completely still hoping nobody else noticed me [​IMG]
    The funniest moment: Fantasia 2000 in an imax theatre, when Mickey is looking for Donald. As he is shouting through the back speakers, every single kid in the theatre turned around to look for Mickey [​IMG]
    Other than that, I get fooled by sound ringing, street noise etc as well. But with me it works both ways, there have been times I have heard street noise and suddenly realized it is not an incredible sound mix, but real street noise instead [​IMG]

13. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Prepare to laugh... the knock on the clubhouse door when la resistance is meeting during "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut". [​IMG]

14. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Al Idid the same exact thing! I felt like such a moron

-D

15. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

The "raining frogs" in Magnolia[​IMG]

16. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

One of my cats is scared of strangers, so whenever the doorbell rings she freaks out and hides. Our doorbell has a pretty generic "ding dong" ring, so she's fooled a lot by the HT. [​IMG]
    It seems like whenever I watch Se7en my wife has to look out the window to see if it's really raining outside.

17. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I am forever being surprised/disturbed by Rain when I'm watching a movie on my HTF.
    It's really freaky to look up and see that bleached hair and Grand Canyon nostril staring me in the face. Cut it out, Rain![​IMG]
    Jon

18. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

In an early scene from The Haunting there's a loud "pop" from the fireplace that scared the stuffing out of me. I guess that's not really being fooled....

19. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

This one comes to mind lately in a movie I'm ashamed to say I sorta liked:America's Sweethearts.I had the sound cranked cause it was a dialague driven movie and I didn't want to miss anything and in one of the later scenes a helicopter flys over and it literally scared the crap out of me.I actually turned my head,screamed OH SHIT! and ducked.[​IMG] Does anyone else remeber this scene and did it have the same effect?

20. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

While watching the Braveheart scene where young William discovers the people hanging from the ceiling, I went to the kitchen to get a drink. When I was coming back from the kitchen, the bird fluttered in the right rear surround, and it scared me so bad I almost spilled my drink.