What's new

When were Dersu Uzala come to DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I can't believe this Kurosawa classic isn't available on DVD as far as I know of. I know there's a big enough fan base for this film. I took Kurosawa in my film history class and aced it, that's how big of a fan I am. Any thoughts or opinions as to what you'd like to see on the 'dream' DVD.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
When did it get released? I'm talking about treatment in terms of what Ran, Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Rashomon and such got. A true Masterworks edition or a Criterion Collection.

Probably not going to get the royal treatment in the states anytime soon, but it is available.

You can get the incredibly kick ass 3-disc R3 release from HKFlix.com for under $30, though.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Don't care about Region 3 because I don't have a multi-region player. I would get it if R3 uses NTSC which is the main reason why I bought a Super Famicom. Not meant the comment to be mean or anything but it's nowhere in my current budget to purchase a multi-region player with PAL to NTSC conversion. Region 0 is no prob only if it's NTSC. Wait a damn minute! My DVD-Rom is set to recognize Regions 1 through 6! I'm such a goon! But unfortunately, my comp doesn't have my sweet Dolby Digital and DTS surround speakers hooked up to it...

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
R3 uses NTSC!!! Wooo Hoooo! Thanks, Mark! You've completely brightened up my day with this news.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
You'll still need a player that can play R3 discs, although some "R3 discs" are in fact encoded to play on all players (R0).

In fact a lot of R3 discs are actually All Region discs. Most Hong Kong film fans will attest to that. I actually didn't think the picture quality was that bad on the R3 release when I saw it, although it has been a while.

John Stockton

Second Unit
I have never seen this film and I know it is wishful thinking but since the film was shot in 65 MM I would love to see a brand new restored 70 MM print similar to the treatment Lawrence Of Arabia got.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks