When was the last time you bought P&S? be honest...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    ok honestly, when was the last time you purposely bought or rented something in P&S? and why?
    my last time was at Blockbuster ~3 years ago. i rented Species and wanted to see as much vertical of Natasha Henstridge as possible, so i got the matted version. Yum! [​IMG]

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I did it only once. I rented a p&s of Cats & Dogs to see if I should by the widescreen or not. I never saw the film before.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The last time would be about a year ago when I ordered the Commitments. Found out it was p&s and returned it.

I've never bought a p&s film on purpose, but I have bought open-matte of films I really wanted, and in some of those cases I'm not sure they're not p&s. For instance National Lampoon's Vacation. It may be p&s, but if so, I bought it under false pretenses.

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I almost bought the P&S version of Silence of the Lambs. Luckily I noticed that it was not widescreen before I got to the register. THe last time I actually bought a P&S title was Swingers on VHS.

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

The last time I bought anything in pan&scan was Platoon on VHS. Ever since I got my DVD player I haven't rented or bought anything in pan&scan.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Never.
    I have Vegas Vacation, but that's a gift from my parents. My DVD of Help! is open matte (from 1.66:1) but is framed well enough (On my DVD-ROM, the credits don't get tight).
    Even for VHS tapes, I've stuck to LBX versions of West Side Story, It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, and even 2001.
    I love pestering video clerks about not having widescreen versions. When I finally found a copy of the LBX Wonka DVD, I mentioned that it's nice that _ _ _ _ _ _ _ had the widescreen DVD. I also put the widescreen versions in front of the open matte discs. [​IMG]

7. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I did buy THE WITCHES (Nicholas Roeg) because there seems to be the possibility this was shot at 1.33. Also bought the P&S MAN WITH TWO BRAINS.

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I will not buy them Pan and scan.
    I will not buy them Sam I am.
    I've never rented a P&S DVD, but I did get Happy Gilmore, Funny Farm and Doc Hollywood as gifts a couple of years ago, but I still find them hard to watch as I detest P&S.[​IMG]

9. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

I have both "Pups" and "Dog Park" in pan and scan, even though these are 1.85:1 flat films and modified aspect ratio, and the only existing forms of the films available. Would be nice to have proper matted widescreen versions of these films though.
    Jason

10. RobR

RobR Second Unit

Jurassic Park on VHS, which was before I aquired a DVD player. I have never bought or rented anything in P&S on DVDs.

11. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I bought a P&S version of Children of the Corn on DVD, didn't really look out.

12. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I bought Happy Gilmore about 10 months ago. I love the movie but because it's in P&S I don't watch it much. It would be great if they released Happy Gilmore in its original aspect ratio. I really HATE P&S discs! [​IMG]

13. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    A few years ago I bought The Bodyguard DVD and was quick to trade it in once I noticed that it was P&S. Since then the only other P&S title I've bought was Police Academy off of a cheapo rack as a Christmas present. Since I had no intention of watching it I didn't take the time to double check the aspect ratio.

14. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

15. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I don't know-if you don't count the Kubrick box set...probably the last tape I bought, which was Gia unrated, but since that's TV, it may have been 1.33. So, I can't tell you...it's been that long.

Though, I'm not ashamed to admit I still rent, occasionally, P&S tapes-as nice as it is to have a huge selection of DVD's, not ever town does, and sometimes there's a movie I want that's only P&S. Widescreen for me always, but forced between a rock and a hard place, I go for the movie. Though it always bugs me.

16. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

The Kubrick box set would be my last ones too, although they are full frame not P&S I guess.

Before that I guess Showndown in little Tokyo was one. It was one of the first DVD's I bought from DVDExpress. It was very cheap, not available to me in VHS as all that I knew of, I hadn't got LD yet anyway and I wasn't as much into OAR as I later have become.

Edit: Come to think of it, I recently bought Never say never again, which also have a 1.33:1 transfer... so technically that is the last time I bought P&S, but I know that wasn't really what you meant...

17. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Last weekend. I was DYING to se Millers Crossing so I went to media play and bought the VHS for $8.

18. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Transformers: The Movie [​IMG]

19. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

20. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

The last time I bought pan and scam was when I first got into DVD and I bought National Lampoons Vacation. I didn't really know that much about the format and really didn't know about what exactly pan and scam did. Once I learned more about it I sold it on ebay for 17 bucks. Not to bad seeing as how I bought it at Walmart for 13 bucks. I have never bought another pan and scam movie again. And for this story which will soon be the feel good movie of the year don't cast Tom Hanks. He couldn't act his way out of a nutsack.