What's new

When using simulation software... (1 Viewer)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Do you have to compensate for dual voice coils. If say you have dual 2 ohm coils would the T/S change whether it were series or parallel? For instance QTS, QMS and QES change in regards to the resistance? any formulas? thanks.

I ask cause I'm working on a sub project with a friend(spl monster) using a driver with these parameters:

RFR3115
FS-22hz
DC-resistance-2x2.16ohms
QTS-.388
QES-.41
QMS-5.837
SD-860cm^2
VAS-98L
Moving Mass-384g
CMS-1.28E-04 m/N
Voice Coil Inductance-1.74mH
BL-12.85Tm
XMAX-19mm
SPL-88db
Pmax-1000watts

We are devising a plan on using a slot port for tuned to 35hz in a 21cuft enclosure using 4 drivers wired in voice coils in series and two woofers series then at the amp the 2 pair is wired in parallel for 4ohms. Then we may be making a baffle with a set of ports that can be tuned lower for SQ. They will fit through and cover the slot port with some sort of mounting system.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Just to add in a new post. First I meant to change the title, second I am wondering if maybe he should build four new enclosures each with multiple ports. That way he could do a SVS thing and be able to change the tuning frequency. The main problem with it right now is even though its loud(155db) it don't sound good and he wants a combo system ie, be able to do spl and make a few adjustemenst for sq when he's cruising.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Shawn, the parameters don't really change but if enough power is available, series wiring may sound better due to improved damping factor. It seems perfectly fine to use 2 or 3 ports, with 2 ports closing one will change the tuning by 1/2 octave and with 3 ports, closing one reduces tuning by close to 1/3 octave. One of my friends uses a Tempest at home with 2 ports to switch between 15Hz and 21Hz tuning, which works fine. The problem is getting some kind of plug that stays stuck in the port!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks