When using S-video, signal is black-and-white

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrandonRM, Dec 31, 2002.

1. BrandonRM

BrandonRM Auditioning

I'm sure there is something I'm doing wrong, so hopefully you can help. [​IMG]
    TV: Sony 27FS200
    VCR: JVC S3900U
    I have the VCR's "Rear AUX input" set to "S-video"
    Most connections are dual composite/s-video ones as shown below.
    [​IMG]
    The same happens on both my DVD player and my game systems.
    I had this problem before when using TV-out on my laptop and it was fixed by changing a setting in Windows from "auto-detect" to "s-video" for the output, but I could find no "output" setting on the VCR, just the input setting, which I already changed. I could find no setting in the menus of my TV.
    Oh, and one of my game systems has a dual composite/s-video cable so when I had that connected, there was color when I changed the VCR input setting to plain old "video," but no color when I set it to "s-video" (when I connect a system or DVD player with just the s-video connection, and no composite, there is no picture when I set it to plain old "video," as expected)
    Hopefully someone can help; I will elaborate or clarify if needed so just ask. Thanks [​IMG]
    Brandon

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Brandon,

One of the most common reasons you'll see something like this is when you have dual comp/svideo inputs that share circuitry and you try to use both. I have seen this on dozens of sets- running into both the composite and svideo input causes the Svideo to go B&W.

Another possible answer is that because Svideo carries color signal on a seperate pin-- if you have a bad svideo cable in the bunch (or just one with a bent pin)-- you loose the color conductor and get just the lum info, resulting in Black & White.

-Vince

3. BrandonRM

BrandonRM Auditioning

Well, at your advice, I tried unplugging all the composite video cables and plugging the S-video cable only into the back of the TV and it was still black-and-white. [​IMG] So I guess it's not that...
    EDIT: Oh, and when I did this, I also used a different S-video cable that I had gotten color out of when using it for TV-out with my laptop on vacation. So there must be something else wrong [​IMG]
    Brandon

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Brandon,

Did you directly plug in a VHS-cable from your DVD-player and VHS and Game Machine, used different cables and still got no colour? Right, you tried the right things then, because you have now proven for 99% that there is something wrong with your TV-set.

If you didn't do that yet, try it now. The "trick" is to pinpoint the problem to a specific device (or cable) by eliminating all other paths (and then add them again, one by one). When you know what causes it, try either changing a setting in that device or have it repaired.

Good luck!

Cees

5. BrandonRM

BrandonRM Auditioning

Well, I don't know what was wrong, but I just plugged everything back in the way it was in my above diagram and now it works -- I get color with s-video mode now, and I can see there's a difference (if slight) so it must be working too. *shrug* At least it works now, even if I don't know why. [​IMG]
    Brandon

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Glad to have been able to help.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cees