When using a surround system do you still use your tv speakers as well?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave McQueen, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Dave McQueen

Dave McQueen Extra

When using a surround system do you still use your tv speakers as well?

Just wondering if you mute the tv and only use the ss speakers or if you use in conjuction with?

Thanx

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If you just have surround sound speakers and a TV then I'd use both because you can't just have surround speakers play everything.

If you have a surround sound package that came with front speakers then I'd mute the TV speakers and play sound through the fronts and surrounds.

3. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

On my Toshiba TV it has an option ,speakers on/off. I just turn the TV speakers off.Buack in OLD OLD, surround days ,no center channel, the tv could be used as a "center channel"

4. Han

Han Second Unit

Sound can come out of a TV?[​IMG]
    Actually, even if I was to have mains and rears but no center speaker, I'd turn the TV's speaker off. Using it as a center just doesn't match right with the mains.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've only heard my TV speakers once and that was when we were moving and I hadn't got the HT set up yet...it was a painful week:0

6. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

7. Dave McQueen

Dave McQueen Extra

Thanx for all replies.

Interesting as i thought the more speakers the better

8. John Suit

John Suit Extra

I don't think MORE speakers are better, I think it's more of the quality over quantity. I may be a newbie to this HT stuff, but I set up my surround sound system so as to NOT feed the sound to my TV. [My TV has that ugly "MUTE" lettering on the lower-right of the screen when muted, argh] That way I just don't have to mess with it. If I play a [EWW] tape in my VCR, then I will get sound from the TV and not the SS, but my DVD, Computer, PS2, N64, and Receiver are all hooked up to the SS speakers.

I don't really care for the TV speakers. Of course, when watching King of the Hill, SS isn't necessary :c)

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    When I watch TV, I use the TV speakers. When I watch movies, there is no audio connection between my DVD and TV, so the HT must be on. I watch more movies than TV and I rarely ever watch movies without the HT going. I also basically never listen to TV broadcasts through the HT.

10. Ralph P.

Ralph P. Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,
    The dynamic range generally associated with the digital soundtracks on DVD's would be a bit much for most TV speakers to reproduce cleanly. Not to mention that the set's speakers would more than likely not be a sonic/timbre match with your front left/right speakers.
    For DVD viewing, your set's speakers should not be in the loop anyway as there would not be an audio connection from the DVD player to the set ( in a 5.1 channel surround sound configuration ). Most TV broadcasts are not really of quality audio anyway, and would be best if handled by the TV's speakers. In the event you have a digital cable box or satellite, there would be a digital output from either to connect to your receiver or pre/pro for digital broadcasts.
    Sorry got off on a tangent there[​IMG]
    Bottom line, in my opinion, leave the TV's speakers out of the surround sound loop.

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

ditto. I have two channel stereo for music and a 5.1 surround system for movies and video games but when it comes to watching television I just use the TV speakers. Connecting cable TV to the surround system would be more trouble than it's worth.

12. John Suit

John Suit Extra

Wow, the way I hooked my system up matches with other [more experienced HT] people? [​IMG] Good stuff!

13. Ralph P.

Ralph P. Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,

Actually, digital cable boxes have a digital audio output ( usually coaxil ) which is really very simple to connect to one of the digital inputs on a receiver or pre/pro. When watching digital cable movies offered in 5.1 channel digital audio, the sound is excellent. Just a thought.

14. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

I don't have digital cable, just analogue. I know full well how to connect cable to my surround system (l&r audio out to l&r audio in) but that that would just be one more button to push when it came time to watch television. I don't do any serious television watching anyway so I didn't bother hooking it up to the soundsystem.

15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Why spend all that money on a nice home theater setup and then listen to the low-quality speakers built into the television? It only takes one pair of analog audio cables to connect the TV's audio output to the receiver, and almost any universal remote can be setup with macros to turn everything on/off.

My Toshiba TV's speakers have never been used. I press a single button on our remote to turn on both the TV and the receiver, and another button to turn everything off. What could be more simple? I've also done something very similar in our master bedroom with old equipment and the remote that came with that downgraded DPL receiver. Even my technically-challenged wife has no problem operating either system.