When to use DPL II

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveZee, Feb 2, 2002.

1. DaveZee

DaveZee Auditioning

I tried out this feature on my DA5ES during a few cable broadcasts, but didn't get much out of it frankly. Seems like most of the sound gets pumped through the center channel, with only minor sound through the fronts and rears. Anyone have a view when it actually sounds good to use DPL II and the various iterations it?

2. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

Honestly, the best answer is to just try out DPL II with various sources and use it for the ones where you feel it improves it.

I usually leave it on for most TV broadcasts. Yes, the effect will vary quite a bit depending on the program. Things like the news will tend to fold into the center channel. I actually like this, as I find it makes it easier to hear.

If you want to hear lots of stuff coming out of all your speakers, try it on some Dolby Surround encoded material, such as some VHS tapes, or Dolby Surround encoded TV shows (some football games are done this way).

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You need a stereo signal to get surround activity from DPL2. When the sound collapses toward the center, it usually means that the signal is mono. Many cable broadcasts aren't in stereo, even when they claim to be (WWOR, the local UPN station, is a prime offender).

Duncan's suggestion is a good one: To hear what DPL2 can do, try a pre-recorded source that you know is in stereo.

M.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer