What's new

When to use 16:9 zoon mode? (1 Viewer)

John Bryant

Second Unit
Ok, I have a tv with the 16:9 zoom mode. My question is, when is it appropriate to use it? I haven't found a dvd aspect ratio yet that it perfectly covers. Is this what is should be used for or am I way off base here?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What do you mean by "16:9 zoom mode"? That appears to be a contradiction in terms, but then again, TV manufacturers use all sorts of funny labels.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
1. What make of TV do you have?

2. What does the manufacturer call the mode you're talking about?

If you're talking about the mode for playing anamorphic DVDs (a/k/a "enhanced for 16:9", "enhanced for widescreen TVs") at their full resolution, then the answer is that you use the mode whenever you're playing such a DVD. Make sure your player is set for 16:9 playback as well. The setting has nothing to do with aspect ratio per se; it simply reformats an anamorphic 4:3 image to the correct shape without sacrificing any picture information. The "correct" shape can be any number of aspect ratios, depending on the film and the DVD.

M.

John Bryant

Second Unit
1. I have the Samsung TXM2796HF
2. This is how it is listed:
Vertical compression circuitry retains full resolution of 1080i and 480p sources when displayed in a 16:9 letterbox format

On my remote it is under picture size and it just says wide. So are you saying to use it on any 16:9 enhanced dvd's, regardless of aspect ratio?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So are you saying to use it on any 16:9 enhanced dvd's, regardless of aspect ratio?
Yes, from your description it appears to be a generic 16:9 mode.

Again, make sure your player is set for 16:9 playback. Otherwise, the player will downconvert the image, which is exactly what you don't want.

M.

John Bryant

Second Unit
Thanks for all the help. Tried it today with Changing Lanes and Le Pacte des Loups and they looked amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks