When to take the cat to the Vet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pamela, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm worried about my cat. This morning, when I got up, she'd thrown up. That's nothing unusual, as she is a long-haired cat with furball problems and does so fairly frequently. There was a furball in the vomit. I fed her and left a few small chunks of her favorite cheese out for her to eat. She usually eats immediately, but when I left for work, she still had not eaten. I came home from work to find she had thrown up again (with only a small bit of fur in it). She also had not touched her food. She's lethargic. Not interested in much. I put out fresh food and she hasn't touched that. I checked her litter box and she has diarrhea.

Two weeks ago, she was at the Vet for her annual physical and shots. Her lab work came back normal.

Should I take her to the Vet tomorrow if she still hasn't eaten? The Vet is closed Sunday, so otherwise, I would not be able to take her in until Monday. I hate to see her like this. It breaks my heart.

Any suggestions? Am I overreacting?

Thanks...

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Pamela, sorry to hear about illness in the family. As I have two cats myself, (longhair and shorthair) I know what you're going through.

Are you overreacting? Who's to say? Is she drinking anything? Vomit and diarrhea can dehydrate a feline very quickly. Is her nose dry or wet? It may be that your cat caught something going around. Given the recent normal vet visit, I'd be inclined to wait a few more days and she if normal behavior resumes. It's YOUR cat, though. If you need peace of mind, take her in by all means. Let's hope it's nothing more than the equivalent of a "kitty cold".

3. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Ditto here Pamela, I also have a long haired cat so I know about the vomiting problem. Also as Nathan said, it' your cat and if it would make you feel better to know she's just got a cold then by all means take her. I know I probably would with my kitty. I just couldn't bear to see him in any kind of pain or discomfort. I hope she's alright.[​IMG]

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thank you. I've decided to take her to the Vet tomorrow if she doesn't eat anything by tomorrow morning (it'll be 24 hours) and/or there is nothing in the litter box.
    She doesn't seem to have a cold. Her nose is dry and her eyes are clear and dry. Her breathing seems fine. Always something to worry about... [​IMG]

5. Rain

Rain Producer

If a cat stops eating that's your cue to get them to a vet for sure.

I hope she's alright. Let us know, ok?

6. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks, Rain.
    She ate some wet food and dry food at about 1:00 a.m. and ate some more wet food when I got up. She's kept it down, and I was relieved. But, she hasn't used the litter box since early yesterday evening, and she was hiding in the closet for most of the morning. Very unlike her. She didn't even sleep with me last night. When she does move about it seems to be very gingerly. [​IMG] So, I'm still concerned. Will keep an eye on the poor little critter.

7. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Pamela, I'm no vet, but I would really get her in to the vet ASAP considering all the signs you've given. You don't want to take a "wait and see" approach in a situation like this.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Pamela, get her to the doctor.

Diminished appetite is a cause for concern, especially when combined with the other symptoms. Trust me here. I've been through all this.

One thing: Has she been chewing on anything that produces strings of thread? Is her scratching post frayed? A swallowed piece of carpeting or thread can do a serious number on a cat's kidneys. Attila nearly succumed to this back in 1997, but his doctor brought him back from the edge.

Also, be careful of tracking anything in the house. Again, I've had trouble here, too. The rule at my abode is "shoes off."

Are there household cleansers to which she may have been exposed?

Not to make you worry, but I strongly suggest you take her in immediately.

9. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Update:

Took Chloe to the emergency Vet. She had no temp, but did have some tenderness in her abdominal area. Some dehydration. They gave her sub-Q fluids and a shot to calm her belly. The Vet thinks she may have ingested something that wreaked havoc on her GI tract, like a bug or plant leaf. I have to watch her over the next day. If she isn't doing any better, I have to take her back in for tests.

She's pretty pissed at me now, as she hates going to the Vet. This is her second trip in two weeks. Not a happy camper. The shot will make her sleepy, so hopefully she'll just sleep this off and be on the road to recovery by tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

10. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    I'm glad you went in, if only for this:

11. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Good news. Looks like it isn't anything too serious (knock on wood).[​IMG]

12. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

She really perked up last night. Started eating again. Using the litter box. Acting normal. Then she threw up before I went to bed and again this morning. The diarrhea is back, as well. If this doesn't resolve by tomorrow, I'm afraid it's back to the Vet. [​IMG]

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Then take Chloe in again. She's worth it. I was thinking it was something she might have injested. Also ask about the possibility of her having swallowed a piece of string.

14. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Look around the house and see what she might have gotten in to. Sometimes plants can be the cause of this.

I have four cats and all plants are kept out of their reach but they still find things to chew on that might make them sick. Our house is constantly evolving to keep things away from them.

15. JohnAD

JohnAD Cinematographer

16. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I don't keep plants for the express reason that the cat would munch on them. That, and I tend to kill all living green things. She could have gotten hold of some down the hall, though.
    She's not doing too bad, despite having the runs. And I have spent a good part of the day chasing her around the apartment with scissors, trying to snip the offending fur from her arse-end. The things I do for my cat. [​IMG]

17. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Careful with the scissors, or you might be paying to have a laceration sewn up. [​IMG] If kitty has mats, as many long haired ones do, electric clippers can remove them much more safely.

18. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

The runs could be from the stress of going to the vet and/or the shot she had.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm