When Tivo Goes again I may build

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    a PC specifiacally for PVR functioning. Since Tivo Whacks you $99 to send a refurb I won't go that route again. With the falling prices of PC Components I think I'm better off with a really large HD and good Video Card with PVR Support. I've been loking at a MSI Card that Newegg has for $60. I'm wondering for those that have PVR's in PC's what they are using and how well it works. Tivo spoiled me but I don't want to keep on paying for new machines.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Your best bet is to just replace the HD in the TiVO since that's what usually goes. You can stick a 120GB HD in there and have monster capacity. If you look around the net you'll find instructions on how to "bless" an HD

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I have a TV Wonder in my computer that I had hoped would help me to get a Tivo like experience with it, but besides the fact that the capturing is somewhat unreliable (which might be resolved if I had a dedicated machine), after trying 5 or 6 different software packages I have yet to find one that actually does what I want.

Until the market matures a bit more, I think it's best to stick with Tivo and buy your own harddrives for it.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I hope my Tivo lives forever....I love that thing!

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I haven't seen any of the "regular" MPEG capture cards that are anywhere near as good (video quality-wise) as TiVo or Replay. My friend's DV-Rex card is good, but it was nearly $2000.

Todd

6. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Dave, I am not sure if you wish to consider this, but DirecTV offers a Service Plan to cover all DirecTV-related equipment in the home and its like $6/month.

I had a Philips DSR6000 die on me with the first 90 days of owning it. I had a choice to get it repaired for free via DirecTV, TiVo, or Philips, but on the DirecTV paid for the S&H in both directions.

That $6/month is worth it, IMHO, since I have a couple of TiVo units. I also looked at it in terms of $99 is worth 16.5 months worth of whole-house DirecTV/TiVo coverage.