1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

When they just get it wrong historically.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ron1973, May 9, 2018.

1. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Didn't they have two different episodes that took place on the same New Year's holiday, one with Blake and one with Potter?

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Must be made by ACME. :D

MatthewA, Flashgear and Ron1973 like this.
  3. Jack P

Jack P Producer

They had a post-Radar episode that put the ENTIRE year 1951 into the episode going from New Years Eve 1950 to New Years Eve 1951 just so they could have the entire 1951 NL pennant race as a running gag throughout the episode. So therefore in THIS MASH universe, Henry, Trapper, Frank and Radar were all gone between June 1950 and December 1950 and didn't even make it until the War *really* turned bad following the Chinese intervention etc.

And other character inconsistencies within the show are as bad as the many continuity errors in "The Odd Couple"!

Flashgear, LeoA and Ron1973 like this.
  4. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    The continuity errors that bug me the most are on The Dick Van Dyke Show.

I'll spare the details since it doesn't have any direct relevance to the actual topic, but in the flashback episodes revolving around Laura and Rob having a baby, Rob & Laura flip flop between different homes and the office that Rob works in.

Millie even somehow manages to be expecting the birth of her son Freddie when Laura goes to the hospital, and evidently already has given birth and is home and all settled and back to normal when Rob brings Laura and their own baby home.

They're classic episodes though, even if they fail the continuity test.

Flashgear and Ron1973 like this.
  5. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I always thought that compared to other shows, the Van Dyke Show tended to be a lot better. We had the inconsistency in the name of Rob's Army buddy Sol/Sam Pomeroy/Pomerantz and yes they didn't always get the flashbacks on the offices right, and for that matter the issue of how many kids Millie and Jerry had seemed to vary. But compared to Odd Couple/MASH they did remarkably well.

6. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I was watching a documentary earlier on nuclear weapons. I didn't catch the title of the program as YouTube is set to autoplay and I was resting after mowing. They said that Albert Einstein talked to Theodore Roosevelt about the possibility of the nuclear bomb and then showed a picture of FDR! Obviously it was FDR that Einstein spoke to as we all know. I just giggled and continued to rest.

Flashgear likes this.