What's new

When theaters play movies too loud..... (1 Viewer)

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
The loudest movie I've heard was Die Another Day, now THAT was painful! And BTW, what is tinnitus?

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I gotta ask. How did you piss them off before?
Well, if you HAVE to know :D, the manager on duty that night (I believe his name is Pierre, but I could be wrong) has caused us trouble on more than one occasion. Our main issue was opening night of Star Wars II. The shows for that night were selling out left and right. My wife and I wanted to make sure that we had nice seats (center, half way back). Yes, we are picky! ;) We got to the theater over an hour before the show and asked this manager where we should wait so that we would be let in first. He told us to go over to the other entrance and wait there (there were already 8 people waiting ahead of us.) There ended up being at least 100 people behind us so they made another line at the other entrance. Well, the time came to let us in and they were going to form one line out of the two, but they made the 2nd line form the front of the line (who waited < 10 minutes) and then let our line (who waited up to 90 minutes) in after them. I politely asked Pierre that our line should be ahead because HE told us to wait here and he told me "I don't care how long you waited. I'm telling you where to get in line and you are going to get into the sold out movie. Deal with it!". I asked to talk to the manager and he told me "I am the manager and I don't have time to talk to you. I'm busy and if you keep bugging me I will have you thrown out!" Luckily, my wife found a very nice assistant manager who helped us out and got us into the theater before the rest of the line. I have had other minor issues at the theater also when this guy was on duty and he gave me simular service. Unfortunately, most of the other theaters in my area are terrible quality screens so I don't have too much of a choice of places to go.

Jeff, do you know of any better theaters in the area?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps those of you who are complaining about the sound being too low have already had your hearing destroyed by the earlier, louder films :D
I would say that was true if only I couldn't hear the baby whining on the opposite side of the auditorium. :b

Tom_Mack, that was one manager that clearly didn't strive on people skills.

I have done a formal complaint to THX on a local theatre that is/was THX certified. Unfortunately, nothing really changed there with the exception that they no longer have a THX sign outside. :frowning:

I just wish theatres were more consistent. Either always suck so I know never to go there, or get it right every time.

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
what is tinnitus?
Tinnitus is hearing ringing, buzzing, or other sounds without an external cause.

I have a slight ringing in both ears that is very noticable in quiet environments, but not noticable the rest of the day. I have a "noise-maker" beside my bed to cover up the ringing with ocean sounds. The ringing gets worse when I am exposed to very loud noise for a long period of time. Going to any event where loud noise is constant (rock concert) can cause permanant damage. Extreame noises (such as gunshots or explosions) can cause permanant damage too even though the sound lasts for a short period of time. I have 3 "tones" in my head - one very high pitched tone in both ears, a soft fluttering mid-frequency in my right ear, and a mid to upper-frquency in my left. The left ear frequency has gotten a little louder since the movie last week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Same here. I briefly considered hearing damage until it occurred to me that I could clearly hear the softest whispered conversations from several rows away but couldn't hear the movie itself.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I had a bad experience just recently when I went to see 28 Days Later. Now I realize the point is to turn it up so that it's scarier when an infected jumps through a window or something, but this was ridiculous. It hurt even when someone would shout "Hello?!" Maybe I'm too sensitive, but it was seriously annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks