What's new

When Sub size is an issue... (1 Viewer)

jeff.adams

Agent
Tom:

Thanks for the reply :). I suspected mine wasn't an original question :)

From the manufacturer's web site The B15 is 17.75 x 20 x 18.3", (note that the latest Revel web site info on the B15a has an error - the depth is not 28.312", it is the 46.5 cm figure, or, 18.3"). The S15A is 19.625 x 19.125 x 21. The PB1-ISD is 18 x 21 x 20, and the PB1-Plus is 25 x 19 x 25. Just for grins, the Velo DD15 is 20 x 18 x 17 3/4".

So, the B15 is just a touch smaller (6497 cubic inches vs 7560) than the PB1-ISD, although I suppose as I sit here and think about it, a 20" cube isn't tiny by any means (thanks for making me think about that :)).

I guess I'd have to ask: can the PB1-ISD stand up to the Revel B15, Kleiss S15A, or Velodyne DD15? I would assume not (but you know what they say about assume :)), nor would I expect a $600 or $650 (for one of the color options) sub to perform as well as a $2,500 - $3,000 model (even allowing for direct sales price advantages). But, sadly, those are my space limitations. A more interesting fight to me would be the PC-Ultra (although I don't know if I can sell my wife on a black fabric cat scratch post in our formal living room :) :).

So, back to my question - any hopes / plans / thoughts / wishes / etc about a "smallish" (18" - 20" on a side cube) model with a 15" or 18" driver?

Thanks,
Jeff

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I guess I'd have to ask: can the PB1-ISD stand up to the Revel B15, Kleiss S15A, or Velodyne DD15? I would assume not (but you know what they say about assume :)), nor would I expect a $600 or $650 (for one of the color options) sub to perform as well as a $2,500 - $3,000 model (even allowing for direct sales price advantages). But, sadly, those are my space limitations. A more interesting fight to me would be the PC-Ultra (although I don't know if I can sell my wife on a black fabric cat scratch post in our formal living room

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
To follow up Jack's response about the Acoustic Vision's and Exodus Audio powered subwoofers' low frequency response, after looking at the testing from Nousaine, it is quite clear to me that the off-the-shelf amplifier in the Kilimajaro, Denali and WMD-15 is the limiting factor. The amplifier has a high pass and who knows about the power supply when delivering sub 25Hz.

Indeed, high power at and below 25Hz is tough enough to come by, and even more rare to find in a very compact package.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

If I recall correctly, the Keiga amp used in all three of those models has a 12dB/Oct HP that's -3dB @ 18Hz. I don't have the FR .pdf anymore.

Scott Sabin

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I don't think anybody suggested an IB (infinite baffle) sub yet, so I'll throw that idea out. An IB sub is ideal for eliminating floor space as you use an adjacent room (closet, attic, basement, etc) as the actual enclosure. The "catch" is that you'll need to cut a hole in the wall for the manifold "box" or the baffle holding a driver array.

IBs are efficient, low-distortion, and fairly inexpenive, but require some DIY and an adjacent room.

Check out the IC Cult website for more info: http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

jeff.adams

Agent
Thanks for the additional suggestions and information folks :)

Tom, where did you see review data on the JBL S120 sub (I dropped by a store and bought the June SAAV issue but didn't see anything in there about this sub. Not that I would buy them, but you certainly have me curious)? They might be interesting as "side" subs in a Lex MC-12 setup...

Thanks,
Jeff

The subs reviewed in this article are (part 1) Revel Performa B15, Wilson Audio Watch Dog, Kleiss S15A, Genelec HTS6, (part 2) Adire Sadhara, Bag End S21E, ServoDrive ContraBass, SRT HydroSonic HS-12S, and part 3 will add (i believe) a Snell ICS Sub24, Velodyne DD-18, and 2 others which I am unsure of the brand or model.

I am in the market for a sub with probably the same requirements (good/clean sub 20Hz performance). I'm looking at the Revel B15a, Paradigm Servo 15 (maybe a pair of these), Paradigm Signature Servo, or Velodyne DD-15 are currently my short list guys, with the Revel at the top of the list at this moment.

Looking forward to seeing what is said about the Velo in the next issue!;)

I am pretty sure the Kleiss is factory direct also, so not sure whay SVS has not been included by this and other major mags. I know I would be interested in seeing some though!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys,

The JBL was included in Yates first piece in this review series. The first piece was published in Home Theater Magazine...OCT-2003.

They also reviewed models from canton, earthquake, NHT, Velodyne, triad and totem.

Tom V.
SVS

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I thought I recognized the Sadhara. Looking forward to the review, I'd like to play with that driver.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'm surprised no one mentioned ACI's subs, Force, Titan, Maestro, for performance for size. They are quite possibly the most attactive subs around. ACI is one of the pioneers in the consumer direct sales model. THey've been doing it that way for over 25 years.

Force

Titan

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton

Long ago I recall a somewhat heated thread about an SVS vs. Adire comparison. There was a lot of talk about getting products reviewed. In paraphrasing TV's response (I'll have to search for the exact thread later):

We all work hard to make our products available for review, and to garner the awareness and demand to prompt reviewers to request the products. It is not one manufacturer's responsibility to insure another is reviewed. It is hard enough work to get our own products reviewed. Different products gain different awareness in different circles and markets. If you read the reviews, at least it is clear that Keith Yates wasn't there to make glowing reviews about everything he had on hand (give the SRT section a read).

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mark,

That is correct, SVS does spend a good amount of time/effort in the review process. We have a PC_Ultra review about to be published, and several other reviews in various states of completion. I would love to send a subwoofer to KR someday...he is using many of the same measurement methods I've been posting on the internet for > 5 years now. (power compression graphs for example). And he also measures 2m outside, which is close to my heart.

SVS has never been contacted by KR for a review sample, nor has SVS tried to chase down KR to convince him to review one of our products. Our website is www.svsubwoofers.com if anyone wants to send him a link though...maybe he has never heard of us...:)

Tom V.
SVS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
I am quite certain that SGTHT, SSV, SVV--or whatever they are called now days--folks read threads from this Forum, so herewith I present them with a challenge (so there is really NO reason why not running tests on SVS products):

I will be willing to lend Keith Yates one of my recently purchased SVS's top flight subwoofer model (when they get here, which should be soon), the B4+, to "test" over a reasonable period of time......so long as they make all proper arrangements and pay the freight shipping to and from, of course! :D

So let chips fall where they may... :cool:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks