What's new

When should one engage THX processing... (1 Viewer)

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
I did not see an answer to this basic question on the Dolby site so here it is:

If a DVD is TXH certified/enhanced, does that mean that Re-EQ, Timbre matching and Adaptive Decorelation have already been factored in the recording itself and thus, there is no need to engage the THX processing on the SSP?

GK

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
No, THX certification on the disc only means that the audio and video quality have (at least in theory) passed more stringent tests than a non-THX disc. You can still use your THX processing, assuming you like what it does in the first place. :) I leave mine on all the time and haven't noticed anything wrong with THX certified discs.

Aaron Gilbert

John S

Senior HTF Member
These days, I do it when ever the center channel (dialog) just sounds like crap from CBS HDTV feeds.

Ok crap is probably going way to far, but last night on the Grammy's it made a major difference for the better on it.

David Judah

Screenwriter
In the rare instances you might engage regular PL over PL II, the adaptive decorrelation might come in handy. Also, Re-EQ works well with some titles although most now are compensated for during production for HT release.

I rarely engage it.

DJ

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I never use it, I prefer the Yamaha-specific DSP modes on my Yamaha RX-V2400.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks