When Old Bands hit small, small towns

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chris, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Sometimes it amazes me, you go through small, small towns and see bands that once upon a time had a "big" career or at least where well known, and now they are playing super-small venues in population 30k and less towns.

In Kansas, we see it often, but it's always a good way to see acts who may be out of their prime super-cheap.

Examples:

3 Dog Night, now playing in Chanute, Kansas.. ticket price: $11-$16.

Roadhouse, Coffeyville, KS.. $8.

Ever wonder what happens to old bands? They may still be around playing tin-boxes littered throughout the midwest [​IMG] And, to be honest, for some of the smaller towns, this may be the biggest act they get in a year [​IMG]

2. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I once saw a sign advertising Molly Hatchet in a parking lot for free in Largo, Florida.

I am not making this up.

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

weren't they Flirtin' With Disaster all those years ago..

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    KC and the Sunshine Band played outside of Camden Yards (Orioles baseball park) after a baseball game last summer and the concert was between parking lots for free.

5. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

3 Dog Night is touring without Chuck Negron, who in my opinion was the voice of 3 Dog Night.

I have noticed the trend recently of the late 80's early 90's metal/hair bands touring and hitting small towns. Earlier this year before they broke up Quiot Riot played a bar in Big Lake, MN which if I remember correctly has a population of about 6000. Warrant also played up the road in Becker, MN which has a population of 2500.

They must be making money traveling to these small bar/venues or they wouldn't be doing it.

Paul

6. George See

George See Second Unit

We have a small venue that holds about 300 people and we've gotten all the old metal hair bands at one time or another. Sebastian Bach for one plays the venue all the time, we had twisted sister recently.

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yeah, Twisted Sister played locally.

In a funny twist, we had "big" small venue concerts locally (Kansas City) by Digital Underground (early 90s rap, where Tupac got started) and a fourth of July bash which had MC Hammer perform [​IMG]

8. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Digital Underground? Didn't they do the Humpty Dance, or am I thinking of another act?

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You're thinking of the right act.. "Humpty Dance" "Body Hats" etc [​IMG]