What's new

When is too late to lay sod? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
A summer yard project has gone into extra innings and has left me with timeline of Sept 6th as the earliest weekend I can lay sod. Given the time sod needs to take hold, am I cutting it too close to the cold weather? I really want to get it in this year if its ok, but can wait until spring if needed.

All opinions welcome,
Kevin

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I used to be a landscaper and we laid sod up to december least until the sod would freeze. not the easiest to lay when it gets colder but your still okay as long as there is no frost and the ground is not frozen.The sod turns yellow but it is just staying dormant till spring at that point)

My brother is a foreman right now at the same company while he works though college. Remember green side up:D
really water it everyday for a week and half for about an hour in each section(depends on the size of spray from sprinkler) Should root just fine. I could lay a skid every 30min-45min try to beat that;)

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I worked for a golf course construction company for a while and they laid sod year round, but that's in Texas.

Greg

James L White

Supporting Actor
let em be the one to say I hope your sod gets laid ;) :laugh:

I can't help your either, trust me you don't want help from me, my yard looks like crap

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Sod is better laid in the fall anyways. The hot summer requires too much care and ups the ante for things gone wrong. I've seen many people fail at sod mid summer. You should always wait for the cooler fall air if you can. You'll be more sucessful with less hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks