What's new

When is the layer switch for... (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Beauty and the Beast?

My Platinum edition is starting to freeze up/pixelate and am curious if it is at the layer switch.

Tried it on 3 different players.

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows where I might find a database of layer switch times?

I could have have sworn Digitalbits used to include this in their reviews.

I am pretty sure this is not the first time I have a similar inquiry but cannot find a thread (about layer switch times not B&B).

thanks as always.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
DVDResource used to have a list of these. I've got a cheap top-loading player that can play with the lid open; I use that just to see exactly where everything is on a disc.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
IIRC, there is no layer switch. It's a dual layer disc, but contains multiple versions of the film. The main feature is not spread between the two.

Rolando

Screenwriter

That makes sense and I think you are right. So now I am wondering if it's a branching problem... Grrr

anyone know where the branching occurs :)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST LAYER CHANGE INFO
DISC 1 - CHP 12
The layer change is located 1:47 into this chapter with 0:45 remaining (when playing the extended version of the film). I just tested this on my DVD player, and the moment the layer charges is after the caretaker of the asylum says, "I love it!"

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Disney's DVD release of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST does indeed contain three different versions of the film, accomplished via seamless branching. I believe that all three are branched from a single "master," so it would make sense that the disc contains a mid-movie layer change, which would be in the same place in all three versions.

Jesse, how exactly does having the lid open allow you "to see exactly where everything is on a disc"? I'm not sure what one would look for.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The laser is red and visible transparently through the top of the disc (of course it's probably not a good idea to look straight at it) so you can see where certain parts are physically on the disc, and see exactly where layer changes are.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Is the layer change near the edge of the disc? Does the laser mechanism start going in the opposite direction (edge to center) after the change?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks