When is the earliest we'll start seeing the new Samsung HLP models in stores?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Danny Beck, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious if they'll be in stores by June 1st or not. I'm definitely buying a tv soon but I don't feel like waiting forever to see the new DLPs. Does anyone know when we'll find these new ones in stores?

2. John_Griff

John_Griff Stunt Coordinator

go to digiupdate.com and look in their DLP section. They have release dates on all the new Samsung and RCA DLP models.

3. Danny Beck

I've already seen that link and many of the dates they list have already proven to be incorrect. [​IMG]

So, thats why i'm asking now. I'm hoping for some accurate dates.

4. John_Griff

Really, they have?? Well crap, I want to know too. I got a bonus check today and I want my DLP, but I'm trying to force myself to wait!

5. Danny Beck

Go to that page you are talking about that shows all the new DLP models. Near the bottom they list some of the HLP models coming out in April, May, and March. Not a single one of them has been released as of today. [​IMG]

Samsung's own website isn't even displaying any of them. If they were really close to coming out you'd see something on their website.

6. John_Griff

Well Digiupdate says the new Samsungs look like July and August. I'm surprised that Samsung has no info on these models at all. Not even a press release.

7. Danny Beck

Yeah, there is a press release out there somewhere. If you look at the lowest HLP models on Digiupdate though it says they will be out in March, April, and May. None of those sets are out yet and it's almost May 1st. [​IMG]

8. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Not true. With some companys, you see the models in the store before they show up on the website.

The best way to keep tabs is to find out when TI expects to begin shipping the chips in quantity. This kind of info can best be found in the SEC filings (10-K's, 10-Q's), and not from the marketing department.

9. Danny Beck

Ok, forget what I said about the website then.

The point is they are still not in stores yet and most stores are saying they have no idea exactly when they are getting these sets. The latest guess seems to be July/August for some. Later in the fall for the rest. [​IMG]

10. Mark Basile

Mark Basile Stunt Coordinator

I am extremely excited, but impatient, to wait for a HDTV with a xHD3 chip. Hopefully, they will show up at the very end of the year just in time for Christmas!

11. John_Griff

I hope not that late!

12. John_Griff

On the AVS forums, they have someone who evidently works at Samsung saying Sept for the new Tantus models.

13. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

There's a constraint in the industry - the lamps. TV manufacturers have switched from CRT's to LCD, DLP and LCOS light engines FAR quicker than anyone predicted, and the handfull of lamp manufacturers are at production capacity and are allocating lamps to their customers.

14. John_Griff

makes sense

15. Danny Beck

Actually, I don't think it makes sense at all.

Think about it for a minute. Your a major tv manufacturer like Samsung. You decided several years ago to push the DLP technology heavily for the coming years. You begin developing DLP tvs and they continously sell better and better over the coming years.

Wouldn't you think at some point that Samsung would have thought about their needs for lightbulbs? It's not like they just decided to make DLP sets this year. They should be prepared for their own need of lightbulbs and I would think they thought about all this last year sometime.

If these tvs are in fact being delayed because of a need for lightbulbs Samsung is run by a bunch of idiots. This need for lightbulbs didn't suddenly happen. They've known about it for years.

Dan

16. Danny Beck

Sorry, double post. [​IMG]