When is Angel going to hit DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_Powers, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Eric_Powers

Eric_Powers Auditioning

I just happen to be probably one of the few people who is a fan of the Buffy spin-off series but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if their has been any word yet on the series hitting DVD anytime soon. I noticed while looking on eBay that Angel season one is already out for region 4 so I hoping that might mean it will be out in the US soon. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum I'm pretty sure I'm not though but if I am I apologize it's been awhile since I posted last.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Hi Eric,
    As a DVD question, you're in the correct forum. As far as being the only "Angel" fan here, I think you must have missed the multi-page Eternal Angelriffic Thread, companion to the even longer Eternal Buffytastic Thread - Part III, in the TV section. Lots of fans here. [​IMG]
    I believe the first 2 seasons are available in Regions 2 and 4. Don't know when they'll be out here, though. The producers may be waiting to sell the show into syndication first. If so, it may be a couple more years as "Angel" probably won't begin syndication until next year, or even the next. But I'm ready for DVD sets, too! [​IMG]

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I have never viewed a single episode of Angel, but I hear it's great. I'm anxiously waiting to get my hands on some DVD box sets.

4. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I have the sets from R2 and they're easily on par with the Buffy releases. Season 2 is even in anamorphic widescreen. Extras are kind of blah, but the R1s may have more. The packaging (an odd book configuration) is really classy though.

5. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I imagine we'll get season one of Angel on Region 1 about the same time we get season four of Buffy. That makes the most sense considering the chronology of the two shows.

-Lyle J.P.

6. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

As a recent Buffy convert (thanks to FX reruns last fall) I could not wait to catch up on Angel. The concensus was there would be a wait for syndication in the US, so I broke down and bought a region-free player (a $99 Daewoo at Sam's Club- made region free with a secret menu screen found online) and the first two season sets from Amazon.co.uk

I'm really enjoying them now!

7. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Jodee,

Are you saying this region free player will convert PAL to NTSC? If not how did you handle the conversion?

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Mark, you want a Malata, the Daewoo/Apex etc etc conversion is....not very good. Plus the Malata can do all sorts of other neat tricks
    The earliest we'll see Angel is next fall, the latest, Q1 2005. Please let me be wrong about 2005 tho [​IMG]
    Malcom, you forgot the trademark in Buffytastic™ 10 hail Josses and you are forgiven
    Jeff (Insane) High Priest o'Joss Kleist

9. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I've imported the Region 2 ANGEL sets for seasons one and two. I agree, great packaging.

10. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Angel season 3 is rumors to be released this December in the UK and mainland Europe.

However it is worth noting that the only widescreen release of season 2 was the UK release. (Many people theorize this was Fox's way of stopping the cheaper Australian imports).

11. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

My Daewoo 5700 converts PAL to NTSC automatically and it looks excellent too. (It even has a PAL logo on the box).
    A simple hidden menu screen to change it to all region was I needed to modify in order to play all discs.

Overall, it was one of the best $99 purchases I've made. While I wouldn't want a Daewoo as my only player (playback on CDs is funky), it makes a great second machine to play the non region-1 stuff.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I don't either, so I cut and paste it [​IMG] The standard HTML code doesn't seem to give with the board code

14. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Jeff,

I agree with you, I want a Malata. But due to my budget at this time I am unable to invest in a $200+ DVD player. If I can get a $60 region free with shity conversion now and get the Malata later; that's the thing to go for don't you think. When I am able to upgrade my TV to HDTV the Malata will come in very handy as it also has Progressive Scanning. I figure I'll be able to do this in about 2 or 3 years.

In the mean time is getting a cheap player that will let me get Angel (Which by the way I've never seen as I was also a FX convert to Buffy) or the Orson Wells films "The Magnificent Ambersons", and "The Chimes at Midnight", or hell even the REAL theatrical cut of Manhunter all of which are not avalible in region 1 such a bad idea? Is the conversion so bad that I should wait several years before I can even try to get these imports?

I value your opinion Jeff; is the conversion on the Apex really too bad to even try for $58.95 at Brands Mart?

15. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

16. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

Ted,

Thanks. That's just the info I'm looking for. I do have a 4:3 set so no anamorphic downconversion is a serious problem for me.

I just have two questions now.

1 Jodee, do you have a 4:3 set? If so does your Daewoo have this problem?

2 Can anyone tell me where the best place is to shop for a malata? I have only found one place selling them right now and they are charging $400 for them.

17. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

2) I had a pop-up add telling me that HK Flix was selling them for ~$270. Kim's Video, a NYC B&M with an on-line presence had it for the same price. I have no idea if these are the best places to get it, but you should at least be able to get that price.

Ted

18. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Mark, I use my Daewoo as my secondary DVD player for my bedroom TV, which is a standard 27-inch 4:3. It works great for that purpose. I don't watch much widescreen material on it. I have a widescreen TV downstairs that I use with my Pioneer player, which is how I watch most of my movies.
    I mainly use the upstirs player for watching TV DVDs or other stuff before I go to bed.
    Maybe it's because my bedroom TV isn't that big, or 4
    :3, but I have noticed no picture problems at all. I probably wouldn't use the Daewoo as my main DVD player but I think it makes an excellent secondary machine, especilayy for watching non-R1 discs.
    A good site to check out is www.nerd-out.com. They have a bunch of different forums about various Apex and Daewoo machines and anyone there should be able to answer any specific questions you might have.

19. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Mark, as Ted noted, any PAL widescreen anamorphic discs will not be displayed properly by the Daewoo on a 4:3 tv. If widescreen discs are a concern (which they probably are, since there are widescreen Angel & Buffy discs), then you have to decide whether or not the superior image quality of the Malata is worth an extra $200-$250. The size of the tv would probably be an important factor. I have a Daewoo 5700 which looks pretty bad when I have it on a 42" image, but when shrunk down to 27", it's not that bad.
    A great feature of the Daewoo is the format compatibility & tolerance. There are a zillion players with broad compatibility, but the Daewoo smokes 'em when it comes to tolerance of home-made discs. I have numerous discs that play without a hitch on the Daewoo, but have glitches abound when played on my Malata (and on Apex's that I have tested). I had planned to ditch my Daewoo after getting a Malata, but I'm holding on to it for it's superior fault tolerance.
    -Dave
    (Edit: I bought my Malata at HKFlix.com )

20. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter