What's new

When is a "special edition" NOT a special edition? Ask Sony (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Check this out:

So I Married an Axe Murderer (US - DVD R1 | BD RA) in News > Releases at DVDActive

Now I dig this Mike Myers comedy, "So I Married An Axe Murderer" but never picked up the first release so when I heard a SE was coming, I wasn't missing out this time but then I read the above page and was surprised that there *apparently* are no bonus features on the disc. I found that a bit strange since Sony has labelled it a "special edition."

Granted, there *might* be and Sony just hasn't announced them yet but still, stranger things have happened. I understand this is a cash-in since Myers has a new movie coming out around the same time but still, should this prove to be true (no extras on a "special edition") then sony would have sunk to a new low.

troy evans

Screenwriter
This site: DVD Review - DVD News says the features just have not been announced yet. However, you would think they would have had something about the features up by now. Video Universe has the dvd for the upcoming release listed with interactive dvd features, but, it doesn't say what they are. They even use the old sd dvd cover art.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve

Probably the same way a lot of disks list "Interactive Menus" under special features. That always cracks me up. Kinda hard to play the movie from non-interactive ones.

As for Sony... If it was just the movie they'd just have to call it "Edition".

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I came across some broadcast tapes of the EPK for this film, and I made my own bonus disc. :)

Seriously, they have at least a basic featurette, a music video and behind-the-scenes on the music video that they could put on a DVD.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Would love to get more insights into the making of this film. I'm sure there are stories to tell, e.g., how much of the Stuart McKenzie bits were scripted vs. ad-libbed. Should be some good gag reel material around.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
If this is a special edition, and there's nothing on it but a remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, then it's not special as far as I'm concerned. In fact, the original release (which I do own) actually had the theatrical trailer, and we all know that Sony's going to drop that on the new release because of their own self-indulgance of their new product. Sony's milking a funny film for all it's worth, and it's sad how many people they'll be ripping off in the end too if there are no bonus features.

If there would be anything I would like to see on this release, a documentary on the film and a featurette about the character of Stuart MacKenzie would be good places to start. And I agree with you GlennH, I want to know how much of his lines were ad-libbed. While watching the scene with Mike Myers in character with Anthony LaPaglia, you can tell how close LaPaglia is to cracking up. That, in some ways, is just as funny as the scene itself.

Also, tracking down Ned's Atomic Dustbin's music video for their cover of the Bay City Rollers classic "Saturday Night" should be easy as well. You can actually view it now on YouTube. It features the band and most of the cast in character having a ball. There's also another theatrical trailer for the film that's not on the DVD that I've found on some sites that if Sony could, should add to the proceedings. Not to mention who knows what deleted scenes there are and a gag reel to top it off.

The only other idea I have is that maybe Sony should have director Thomas Schlamme sit down with Mike Myers for a commentary. That would be a special edition in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks