What's new

When I try to create an audio CD on my computer, it says that the songs aren't.... (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
.wav or .mp3 files, even though I have burned these files before as audio songs on a CD. It is saying "the file has an unreconized file extension, it must be a .wav or .mp3" When I right-click the file, it says it is an "winamp media file." I have clicked on the View tab-->show files--->all files. W/o doing this, no files show up. I haven't had any problems before creating CDs, ever since I burned 3 mp3 CDs have I had this problem. All help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Do the files still play? Do they have a .mp3 suffix? Double-check this. If you have to do Show All Files it sounds like the files are flagged as hidden. Look at the properties on the files and check the attributes. If they became hidden all of a sudden, you may have a virus. Some viruses/worms (most LoveLetter variants for example) will hide MP3 files and copy same-named files with a .vbs suffix in their place.

Just my $0.02...

KJP

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
no, they aren't not hidden. They are archived. They don't show up as "CDDA tracks and audio files only." That is why I must click on view-->show-->all files. These songs have worked before, but now they aren't even registering as audio files. when I right click one, and go to properties, it says it's an "winamp media file." I haven't had this problem since I've burned some MP3 CD's.

Thanks.

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
In Windows Explorer, click Tools and the Folder Options. Click the View tab on the window that pops up. In that checklist, make sure "Hide file extensions for known file types" is NOT checked. (I think it might be checked by default.) Then go to the folder where your audio files are and it should show the file extensions. You can verify then whether they are mp3 or wav files.

If currently that item isn't checked and your files still show mp3 or wav extensions, then I'm clueless.

Dalila

Stunt Coordinator
If I understand you are saying that the program you are using wont burn them b/c their ext is windows media... (?)

If that is the case it sounds like Media Player has associated itself with all the media files. You could just put them back to .mp3 format.

Though this is odd, for you can make an audio CD from windows media ext. files.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
do what tim said and tell us what the extension is of those files (extension is the last three or four letters after the period in the file name, they are hidden by default). the files might be .wma or .ogg which winamp recognizes and will be labeled as winamp media files but are unusuable by you for burning.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
I did what Tim said, and every song I have has .mp3 after it. Like I said, I have burned these songs before on a CD, and now Adaptec isn't even reconizing them as an audio format.

Thanks guys.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
would you be willing to try a different program? you can try using ahead nero burning rom and see if that will do what you want.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
i hope someone here can help me...the songs aren't corrupt or anything. it's just that ever since i made some mp3-cd's adaptec isn't even reconizing my .mp3 files as audio songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks