What's new

When HTFers you care about go MIA. (2 Viewers)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Thanks for posting those links, Matt. Although I was lurking at the time, I don't remember his posts. His story was very touching. I'm still feeling the painful sting of losing a family member to cancer two weeks ago. His story and his words moved me to tears.

It's kind of amazing to think of all the different people here on this board, and all of your unique and varied experiences. All drawn together by the common denominator of HT. This is the power of the Internet.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hey, good people, I am afraid I must interject here.

Let's please refrain from discussing people who have been banned from HTF--or whom you might suspect of having been banned. This all goes back to a basic privacy issue: People who are no longer here cannot post in a thread where they are being mentioned. This poses potential liability issues.

Also, please leave administrative issues out of this conversation. I would appreciate that greatly--and on a personal level. I started this thread after seeing someone's name mentioned in another thread. She was a valued member of and contributor to Home Theater Forum, and she has vanished without a trace.

That's a disturbing matter to ponder.

And then there's the very sad case of the late Jonathan Gross.

It doesn't "feel" right when we begin discussing known problem cases in the same breath.

I am gladdened by the heartfelt sentiments being expressed here. I also want to keep this thread open. So, let's skip the talk about banned members and their tangles with Home Theater Forum's administrative staff.

Thank you very much.

JB

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I can't answer your question about Jung Woo, Jack, but I did want to mention that I met her a couple of times (I think the last time was last year at David Tolsky's house). She seemed like a nice person. Like you, I miss her posts.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well, does a new girlfriend, a new job and a new car count?
A new girlfriend?? Git! And I'm still trying to get an old one!!
Actually I am very bad at noticing names of people. Usually sigs do it for me, hence I never fail to notice Rain, Jack, et al.!! ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Rob: Don't let those extraneous matters get in the way of your posting career here, please. :)
Didn't Jung have a Web page? I wonder if it might be possible to track her down by digging up an old post of hers and seeing if the link to her site is still viable. From there, it should be possible to send a message to her.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
(In a high Pythonesque Falsetto)

"It's either me or that Damn Home Theater Forum"

"Welllllll, I'm waiting"

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Brian, a big thanks. Her Website seems in great shape. And there are some bitchin' images from 2001: A Space Odyssey on it--in fact, one that I could easily use as my sig image instead of the present one (it's the Sun/Earth alignment as seen just prior to the titles).

So, I sent the phantom woman a message. Invited her to this thread (gave her a link). Asked her simply to drop a line with somebody here.

Maybe this thread will solve two mysteries in the end.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Is "Jung" her real name? I've seen "Ilian" as part of her email address and on Gary Tooze's site. Or is "Jung" her Asian name and "Ilian" her American one?

~T

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, Thi, I believe her "American" name is Jean--she refers to herself that way on the Website. However, the contact address is invalid. My e-mail bounced back. I'm worried.

Look, I've never maintained a Website before. Can one as razzle-dazzle and busy-looking as hers run autonomously, without her routine maintenance? (It's an interesting site, too--obviously a film lover, her.)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I didn't see the name Jean anywhere on that site. She also has a regular page at http://www.geocities.com/ilian73/ where she goes by Ilian.
A website needs no maintenance.
It does seem as though she has disappeared, not just at HTF. Her website hasn't been updated since last July, and I remember one of her last posts around that time when she reviewed Memento and Pearl Harbor.
~T

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Scrutinizing her site, I noticed that her DVD collection contains some fairly recent titles. So it looks like she still is around! :)
Jack, I remember last time you asked about her absence, she returned here within a couple of days. Let's hope it happens again.
~T

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The HTF has been around long enough that I'm sure it would be easy to write a "History of the Home Theater Forum" book. The proceeds can go towards the site's maintenance!
Or perhaps someone could write a weekly gossip column...off-site, of course. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks