When HD-DVD arrives will there be a need to re-issue 4:3 material?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Shanks, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    Will it be necessary to reissue 4:3 material when the HD-DVD becomes a reality? Will there be added resolution in the new format? Just curious.

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I'd have thought there'd be a need to re-issue everything, regardless of aspect ratio. Having said that, I don't know a thing about high-definition; I live in the UK - what do you expect? [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, yes: 1080 interlaced lines or 720 progressive lines as opposed to DVD's 480 lines.

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Jack,

Is this true for old material and TV shows, such as Sandford and Son, for example? Wasn't the source for such material at 480 scan lines?

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

a lot of tv material, especially from the seventies on back, was shot on film.
    i know just about all the universal 1 hour dramas (rockford, Columbo, 6 million $ Man, etc) were.

sitcoms like S&S were probably shot on video, but as i was watching the Mary Tyler Moore discs the other day, the colors looked so eye-popping, i have to wonder...

6. Michael St. Clair

Most TV shows will likely get cropped to 16:9 when released on HD, so if you love a show, buy the regular DVDs now!

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Indeed, somewhere around here is an old thread about Paramount being adamant with their intentions to crop "Cheers" to 16:9 as they remaster the original 4:3 framed film source to HD.

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Why not?

I'd personally like to see HD-DVD versions of films such as Singin' In The Rain, Sunset Blvd., Modern Times, and Snow White.

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Sure there would be a need to do so. There is just no need for 4:3 pan and scan [​IMG].

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

11. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

OAR no matter what!!!!

This time around (HD-DVD, Blue Ray, or whatever) this pan/scan/crop/tilt/open-matte shit has got to STOP!!!!!!

I hope to God, they go for full 1080p support. Go for the gusto, or don't go at all, is my new motto!

Dan