What's new

When exclusive doesn't mean exclusive (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/383/383452p1.html
Looks like Atari is doing something similar to what Capcom did with SF2 Turbo and Special Championship Edition way back when. I've got Godzilla for the cube and there's a big old "Only For" in the left corner so I'm only imagining the updated features in the XBox edition may warrant a new title thus keeping the "only for" thing on the cube version true. It's cool to see it coming to the XBox as I really enjoyed this on the cube and I think it'll fill a nice void in the XBox software lineup. The 4 player action is a blast.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
While I hate hate hate when companies pull that ("Only for..." when they know it isn't), I'd very much like to see this game get Live support...but I'm not holding my breath.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Well, it was "Only for Nintendo Gamecube"...

for 6 months...

I'm trading my copy of Godzilla in for Panzer Dragoon Orta, and then picking up the Xbox version when it comes out.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Chris, very true. I was just suprised to see the "Only For" on the game when that's obviously not true. It'd be similar to Ubisoft throwing the "Only on XBox" on Splinter Cell (or Namco with Dead To Rights). If you ask me, if it's not exclusive for good, don't put that tag on the box. Just leads to confusion.
Edit-forgot to add, that while the cube version isn't perfect, I enjoy it quite alot. Especially since I got it new for 20 bucks.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Also the 5 games that Capcom announced for the Gamecube are not GC exclusive.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I wasn't aware of that Paul - do they plan to port those rather bizarre games to the PS2 as well, then?

paul h

Supporting Actor
All they said was those titles weren't exclusive to GC, i suspect we'll see some of them on at least one other system...

'At Capcom's recent press event in Las Vegas, the company clarified the nature of its upcoming GameCube releases. While Resident Evil 4 is, in fact, a GameCube exclusive, P.N. 03, Killer7, Dead Phoenix, and Viewtiful Joe are not under any sort of exclusivity agreement. No mutliplatform plans for any of these games have been announced at this time.'

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
Considering Capcom USA also stated that RE Remake and Zero weren't going to be Cube-exclusive, I'd take this with a heaping helping of salt :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Capcom DID say RE0 and RE1 remake were GameCube exclusive. In fact, RE0 was a Nintendo 64 exclusive a while ago, then was moved to the GameCube.

This thing with Godzilla is dumb. They did it with Dead or Alive 2 for DC (DoA2:Hardcore for PS2). The thing is, the games are technically different because one version has more modes and options (and characters). If Godzilla does the same, then it's really a different game.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, no.

At one point Capcom USA stated that they were not neccesarily exclusive to Cube, even though Capcom Japan had stated prior to that that they were (note that in my original post I said Capcom USA).

The point being that Capcom USA is saying that the "GameCube 5" may not be exclusive, not Capcom Japan.

In the end, it only matters what Capcom Japan says on the matter, and they have not said anything since Capcom USA made that announcement a week or two ago.

Based on these examples, till Capcom Japan clarifies the matter, the jury is out.

Damien

Supporting Actor
I'm almost 100% positive the 2 RE games in question are 100% gamecube exclusive. links that back up the contrary would be helpful

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

Read my post again.

I stated that "at one point" Capcom USA had said that they weren't exclusive after Capcom Japan said they were. Obviously Capcom USA was incorrect and, until Capcom Japan says otherwise, I'd take anything Capcom USA says with a grain of salt.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Back on topic, IGN posted some screens of Godzilla for the XBox. The biggest difference I see is that the monsters look more "organic". The textures on them look darker and somehow more realistic. The water also looks much bluer. This seems like it'll be the best version but not leaps and bounds above the cube version(atleast not enough to warrant trading up).
http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaP...dzilla+Screens

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks