when doing separates......

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Phil_M, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Phil_M

Phil_M Extra

how is the surround format handled? Is there a tuner or something out there that handles stuff like dolby, dds....or whatever the formats are?

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The processors in them handle it. There are dedicated processors for these discreet formats.

3. Phil_M

Phil_M Extra

I was looking at a Carver.....and I did not notice a sub out...but just 5 channel outs....which makes snnse since most subs have their own power..but...

How do you hook up a sub then??

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Phil, when you say 5 channel outs, do you mean the speaker outs or the pre-outs? If you do not know the difference between these two terms, then I think it might be best for you to read up in the beginners section of this forum just to get a grasp of the types of terminology you might need to know when dealing with home theater audio/video

5. Phil_M

Phil_M Extra

Oppps! Yeah you are right. I forgot that you need a preamp and an amp. This one is an amp to supply the speakers. The preamp would be the unit that has the "pre" to the self powered sub. Sorry man.....I've just been working to many other angles these days to remember. So the preamp would be the unit that figures out the dolby, dds, etc. right?

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

exactly. a dd/dts receiver with pre-outs can do it too.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Phil, it sounds to me like you are confused?

A seperates setup has a preamp/processor with *NO* amplified outputs, and will have line-level RCA outputs to drive all the separate amplifiers.

A receiver, on the other hand, is both the processor and amplifiers all together in one unit (along with a radio tuner). This will have amplified outputs for all your speakers, and a subwoofer pre-out (unamplified) to drive a powered subwoofer.

If you could point to which carver your were looking at perhaps we could explain more?

8. Phil_M

Phil_M Extra

I'm not that confused....really. I'm sure my terminology is off....but I know what a typical receiver is.....and I have one. It is a Carver I bought ten years ago...the one that is 220W/channel (2). I need a surround setup now...and was going to start fresh for that....and move my receiver to the other side of the house...strictly for music. The power amp I'm looking at is the AV-505 with 5 outputs. My basic question would be ....what else would I need besides this amp? A preamp? plus the obvious DVD player. Forget the tuner(AM?FM)....so what unit does the different music formats? is it the preamp? or would I need something else?

9. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

10. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

just to let you know, typical preamps start at $1000 and go up from there. Outlaw has a really nice one from what Ive read here, and they have matching power ams too. A b&k will run $1800 and up.

What I use is a little device called the ADS 400 from Midiland

http://www.midiland.com/proddetail.a...r=60&category=

or Klipsch has a little pre/pro that does the same thing.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=433

these little units are made for computers but work ok for HT. Im sure the sound quality isnt 100% but the one I bought was $130 and the klipsch is $170. Ron-P just purchased the Klipsch version I believe, get him to tell you how he likes his unit.

11. Phil_M

Phil_M Extra

Thanks for the links etc. and all the information to help make my choices. There was very little, by the way, of information on seperates for HT. All I found was info about integrated amplifiers...(though I quickly scanned thru)and those aren't really seperates ...are they! I guess if I cannot spell sererates then I don't need 'um ...do I LOL! Unless of course I move to England.

12. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

put it this way, a preamp handles bass, treble, volume, fade, pan, any surround decoding (dolby digital, prologic I - II - IIx, dts) and bass management and more. All an amp does is amplify the analog signalit receives and sends it to a speaker.

13. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Gotcha. So you'll be looking for a full-fledged HT pre/pro, and there are a bunch out there, but as noted, they are larger ticket items, so you'll probably be spending 1 or 2K or more for a high quality processor from rotel, lexicon, parasound, carver/sunfire, B&K, anthem, etc etc.

14. John Prator

John Prator Stunt Coordinator

Phil,
    For what your looking for I would really recommend that you go to outlawaudio.com and check out their model 950. It will do everything you need it to and it is VERY highly rated. I do not have one of these pre/pro's but am familar with their products and they are of solid quality and they back up their products. I think the price on the 950 is in the $799-899 range and it will be almost impossible to get anywhere near their quality for that price. Do a search on AVS forum and here for the Outlaw 950 or even check out their receiver, the 1050($499) for info on their quality, etc. Hope this helps ya.[​IMG]
    John