What's new

When does S or Component video look better? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Is S-Video or Component really just for larger TVs?
I have a 27" Panasonic Tau, just a regular TV, nothing special, but it has all 3 types of connections. I've tried connecting through my receiver for switching and just right to the TV and never noticed any difference in picture.. but I'm wondering if I should use S-video, Component, or composite? At a mere 27", will S-video really make a difference over composite? I've tried comparing component and s-video and it looks exactly the same to me.
My receiver can do switching for svideo or composite, and it's easier to control everything without having to switch the tv's video modes all around.
------------------
Tim Kline
HT Newbie Extraordinaire!
[email protected]
Link Removed
My DVD List
Link Removed

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,
Component video is a superior connection for DVD. It offers twice the color resolution than S-video/composite. The color resolution DVD offers (270 lines) can only be realized by component connections, as S-video and composite can only handle a maximum of 120-140 lines.
Of course, you will only see a difference if your TV's color circuits are decent. Unfortunately, just because a TV has component inputs, doesn't mean it's color circuits will resolve the extra detail. The only way to find out, is to use a color resolution test pattern from VE or AVIA.
-Ryan Dinan
------------------
Link Removed

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Well, I did some testing and decided the component does look the best so I guess I'll stick with that.
But, I've been noticing that this TV really isn't all that great.. like for instance vertical straight lines are usually sort of bumpy looking.. parts seem to be stretched a little, and the widescreen bars are uneven.. on the bottom one side is shorter than the other.. you don't notice it a lot though. These are recent problems I've noticed though, since I recently messed up my video settings after I gave back the VE disc.. but I can't remember how good it was back then though so I dunno if it was any better or not, for this tv.
But, I'm saving up for a big giant 60'+ widescreen tv so this one will have to do for now :)
------------------
Tim Kline
HT Newbie Extraordinaire!
[email protected]
Link Removed
My DVD List
Link Removed

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
And since larger screens show larger weakenesses, you will definintely appreciate component hookups that much more when you get that 60+ incher.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks