When does Beck's "Sea Change" album come out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Becker, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I heard there would be a DTS version of this fantastic album. Is this true and if so where would I find it? I'm totally new to the surround sound music disks. [​IMG]

Also, I heard it doesn't sound that great to play a surround cd on a 5.1 sattelite setup. Is that true? I've got 5 sattelite speakers and a sub woofer. Thanks.

Dan.b

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Daniel,

There is a SACD available for Sea Change. This disc contains a multichannel mix that is only playable on SACD players. Maybe this is what you are talking about as I have heard no rumors of a DTS version.

J

3. Daniel Becker

Yeah, thats what I meant. I just didn't know exactly what it was.

Would my Xbox be able to play it? Thanks.

Dan.b

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

It's also my favorite rock/pop album of the year, and one of the finest SACDs I have!

6. Daniel Becker

Ok, first off I already have the album and also thought it was the best album released in 2002. [​IMG]

Second, the Xbox does play cd's as well as dvds and i've got it all hooked up with an optical cable for digital surround sound as well as DTS. So, does anyone know if I can put that SACD disk into my Xbox and hear the surround mix for the album? Thanks.

Dan.b

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

No.

As Lee said, you would need an SACD player.

8. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

No - you can't.

It must be a hybrid SACD for your Xbox to play it.

But - (hear the can of worms opening) - if this title had been released in the DVD-A format, you could enjoy this in full surround sound with just the equipment you own now!

So much for backwards compatibility.[​IMG]

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

This really has nothing to do with SACD or anything but Beck is great and I just picked up his "Midnight Vultures" CD and I like it a lot. I heard "Sea Change" is a sad CD, is this true? Not that it matters really but I was just wondering what to expect when I get it.

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

It's his "Blood on the Tracks", written in a very brief span after the break-up with his girlfriend.

It's a somber work, and utterly sincere... every note, every word.

11. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

Midnite Vultures and Sea Change are like night and day, there are few similarities. MV is a party album and SC is sad and introspective. That being said, both are great, just don't expect any of Beck's albums to sound alike.

It's too bad more artists don't challenge themselves the way Beck does.

12. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I finally picked this disc up yesterday, and through one listen (of the stereo track) I am very impressed. This is probably one of the better SACD I have gotten a chance to listen. Very full and dynamic, for a rock title, there is some serious low end in this recording. I only listened to a couple tracks in multichannel and from what I heard that was pretty nice as well. This disc will now be a regular in my play rotation.

J