When does an $11 RCA cable sell for $20?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Everett, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Matt Everett

Matt Everett Stunt Coordinator

Sep 4, 1999
    ...when it's marketed as a digital coax audio cable instead of a plain old RCA video cable!
    Best Buy in Chattanooga is selling a 6' Acoustic Research RCA video cable for $11.99 It's listed on the www.bestbuy.com site here:
    It's $11.99 online as well.
    The Chattanooga B&M also sells this cable, a 6' RCA digital audio cable:
    It only costs $12.99 online, but was $19.99 in the store!
    I looked at the two cables in the store, and the only difference I could see was the color of the Acoustic Research label on the RCA jack! Even the specs on the back of the boxes were the same. Furthermore, the cheaper RCA video cable's box states on the back: "This cable is ideal as a digital audio coaxial cable connection."
    Talk about a marketing triumph! Making a cool $7 more selling what *appears* to be the same cable! If I am wrong, then I apologize to both AR and Best Buy. I don't think I am, though. Certainly, I bought the cheaper cable and I am very happy with it, so don't take this as a criticism of AR's quality.
    I almost bought the RCA cable labelled "audio". My advice is buy the "video" RCA cable and put the difference towards a DVD!
  2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Shhhhhhh! You're costing someone, somewhere money!
    Pssssst! Here is another secret. Subwoofer cables are the same as composite video and coax digital cables. They all desire 75ohm cables.
    For years, I've been using Canare LV-61s with true 75ohm connectors for all three uses.
    There... go forth and save some money!
    Take Care,
    God Bless America!!!
  3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    The Sony Phillips Digital Interface (SPDIF) document for the DVD coaxial connector calls for a 75 ohm cable. This is because they wanted to get people to adopt DVD players so they specified a common-as-dirt VIDEO cable.
    Yes, all video cables are made from 75 ohm coax.
    Some companies took their video cables, put the word "Digital" on the package and sometimes put little arrows to show the signal flow. This was to justify marking up a $25 cable to $60. They also depended upon salesmen to push the idea that the digital signals were somehow more sensitive than analog and needed "special" cables. (In truth, digital is much more robust than analog.)
    In truth: it is very hard to tell the impedence of a cable by looking at it. You can get coax in 50/75/110/300 ohms, and the RCA plug on the end can be 50-100 ohms.
    You should note that your CATV coax is also 75 ohms. Some people have put their DVD player near the TV to have short video cables, and then for about $12 use RG6 CATV coax for a 20-40 foot run to send the digital signal to a receiver at the back of the room. It works fine.
  4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Nov 5, 1999
    I like to use the higher-priced cables marked as digital coax in order to impress the home theater gremlins that live behind my system.