1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

When do you think the next generation X-Box or Playstation will be here?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jeff Adams, Sep 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I was just wondering. I was thinking 4th quarter of 2005.

2. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I think that sounds about right. If it isn't that, then it will be 4th quarter of 2006.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nintendo plans to support the GameCube through 2007, regardless of when their next console comes out.

MS is using the X-Box as a stepping stone into the next console.

Sony is milking the PS2 like it milked the PS1 (which it did up until not too long ago, within the last year or so).

I'd say the next round is between 2005 and 2006. 2004 is too soon (no announcement = no console within a year and a half).

4. Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth Stunt Coordinator

I agree. Too soon for the XBOX which is just hitting it's prime right now. 2005 sounds right for a PS3, as the PS2 has almost maxed out as far is hardware is concerned. Some of the newer games look better than anything before them, but with all the add ons you need(HDD, Ethernet Adapter etc.) and fewer and fewer exclusives, the Xbox seems to be becoming the console of choice.

Please don't take this as a PS2 bashing post because I have(and play) both.

This begs the question is MS going to release an XBOX2 to coincide with PS3, or stick with the original until they have properly "milked it"?

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Announcements for late 2005, will be pushed back to 2006 for various reasons (ramping up factory lines, etc.).

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I think Jay is on the right line there, MS will likely wait until they know what Sony is doing and match it. After all, PS2 sales are winding down a bit (almost everyone who wants one has bought it already) but Xbox probably has a few more years to grow. Espeically if games like Halo 2, Fable, and others can raise the bar for console gaming again. I doubt PS2 is 'done' advancing the software, but I think their progression will be slower than the Xbox (Xbox still hasn't been fully exploited.) So the longer Sony waitrs for the next gen, the more time MS and big N have to try and close up the gap in sales.

Plus, for MS making a new console is easier than for Sony or N. Basically because the Xbox is a modded PC so they just look at what's available 18 months in advance and take what they want. Really cuts down on the R&D invested by the company.

I would guess Xmas 2005 is a good time for the next gen. Maybe 2006 if they all decide to milk it a little more. One thing is for sure, MS' next console will arrive no later than Sony's PS3, they won't chance losing an uncontested year like last time.

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, either Christmas of 2005 or 2006. I only have the PS2 right now and really want an X-BOX. But my dilemma is, I have an entertainment center around my 64 inch widescreen hdtv and it would be a huge hassle to move evrything to hook up an X-BOX, however I am going to upgrade my hdtv to and LCOS or DLP but want to wait for the technology to get better and cheaper. Which brought me to my question about the next generation game consoles. So about two years from now would be perfect. I could get a nice LCOS tv and an couple of new consoles.