What's new

When do you think DVD will over come VHS in the following aspects? (1 Viewer)

Douglas Kalon

Stunt Coordinator
When do you predict that DVD will over come VHS in the following aspects.

1. DVD player sales over VHS VCR sales?

2. Sales of DVD's over VHS tapes?

3. DVD rentals over VHS rentals?

4. DVD Recorders(Stand alone decks) over VHS VCR's?

In terms of the demise of VHS tapes, once DVD recorders are affordable then it will happen. People will keep VCR's until they replace it with a DVD Recorder.

In terms of VHS tape sales, I predict that new movies will be offered on VHS for some time to come, however Catalog titles and maybe non sell thru titles will be only available for DVD as DVD becomes the standard in home video formats.

If any of 1-4 has already happened please give details.

What are your thoughts?

John CW

Supporting Actor
Remember when CD's came in? It took a few years but when people upgraded their stereos they ended up with a CD player. Next time they bought something, "well let's try this on CD instead of tape". And so on. Soon enough CD had completely replaced VHS.

That's what will happen, I'd say in 5 years VHS will be nearly gone.

~ John

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I Criswell predict that soon after DVD recorders are in the $200-$300 range VHS will be given last rites.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As far as software sales, I would think DVD has already overtaken VHS since many stores (like Best Buy) have only a teeny, tiny VHS section, but 4-5 aisles of DVD's. My Best Buy said they're in the process of completely "phasing out" VHS, as they didn't have a title we wanted (for Mom) and didn't seem inclined to order it either.
I told Mom she'll just have to upgrade, as they had 4 copies of the same title in DVD. :D

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
1. DVD player sales over VHS VCR sales?
For the year to date, 4.5 million DVD players have been shipped to retail, versus 3.8 million VCRs. At the same time last year, it was 3.3 million DVD players versus 5.3 million VCRs.

So there you go.

-bf-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks